The Refugee Program ESL Specialist reports to the Director of ESL and is responsible for the ongoing systematic management of on and off campus ESL classes to ensure the effective delivery of English language instruction.
- Coordinate and conducts student registration, as well as process student registrations and related student enrollment and update forms;
- Conducts testing and scoring of pre and post assessments; advise students; assign instructional level and refer to other on or off campus sites as necessary;
- Maintains student date, prepare student enrollment, attendance and update reports;
- Conducts student follow-up and document follow-up activities through case notes;
- Provides referral services to students;
- Provides support to teachers, instructional materials, duplication and equipment support;
- Assists with recruitment efforts at community outreach events;
- Operates office equipment including copier facsimile machine, computer, scanner, binding machine, shredder;
- Works cooperatively with other members of the Division on projects and initiatives.
- Other related duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of healthcare programs (within a college setting preferred)
- Meticulous organizational and record keeping skills with attention to details
- Excellent oral and interpersonal communication skills,
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a dynamic environment
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to work independently on a variety of different projects
- Must be self-motivated, able to accept responsibility and demonstrate initiative.
- Must have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new tasks
- Some evening and Saturday hours will be required
This position typically works indoors in a standard office environment, generally free from hazardous or unpleasant physical conditions. Work involves minimal risk and observance of safety precautions typical of modern office settings. The work environment is highly diverse and demands a high level of cultural competence in interpersonal communications and interactions. Duties may require off site travel to meeting, job fairs, special events, etc.
The work entails sitting for extended periods and frequently standing, walking, bending, stooping and reaching. Work requires eye-hand coordination, manual dexterity, near vision acuity, and the ability to see and read printed material and computer screens. Duties involve oral, written, electronic and telephonic communication; typing; and lifting and transporting supplies/materials. Off-site travel duties are required to deliver materials.
Minimum Education and Training Requirements:
- 2 years of college or equivalent work experience
- 4 years of administrative support experience