The mission of the International Institute of New England (IINE) is to create opportunities for refugees and immigrants to succeed through resettlement, education, career advancement and pathways to citizenship. One of the oldest and largest human services organizations for New Americans in the region, IINE serves more than 2,500 people each year in Boston and Lowell, Massachusetts, and Manchester, New Hampshire. Our programs include case management, youth and family services, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), employment and skills training, and immigration legal services.
A dynamic, forward-looking, smart and rapidly growing non-profit organization, we seek well-qualified, solutions-focused candidates who are experts in their respective fields. Successful candidates will join a committed team of professional staff and volunteers who are devoted to welcoming and serving new Americans.
The ESOL Instructor provides English as a second language and digital literacy instruction to adult learners in the ESOL Program three mornings and evenings per week. This position is responsible for creating lesson plans, providing quality instruction, and tracking student attendance. The ESOL Instructor receives 1 hour of prep time for each 2-hour class, totaling 18 hours; 6 hours of distance learning engagement; 4 hours of data entry, assessment, and attendance monitoring; and 2 hours for mandatory meetings each week. Instructional methods reflect a student-centered teaching philosophy. Classes are held in-person with a remote participation option for students unable to attend on-site.
Position Title: ESOL Instructor
- Department: Education
- Reports to: Education Services Manager
- Supervises: N/A
- Status: Non-Exempt, Full Time (30 hours/week)
- Job Location: Manchester, NH
- Pay Range: $24/hour
Full-time employees will be eligible for all benefits including Personal Time Off (PTO), sick days, and twelve paid holidays. You may participate in all benefit programs that IINE establishes and makes available to eligible employees, under (and subject to all provisions of) the plan documents that govern those programs. Currently, IINE offers medical, dental and vision. Company-paid life insurance, company-paid short-term disability (STD), long term disability (LTD), accidental death and dismemberment and disability coverage, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), other benefits including 403(b) with company match plan(s) pursuant to the terms and conditions of company policy and the 403(b)-plan document. Other perks such as discounts through our vision plan, fitness reimbursement and more.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide high quality classroom instruction that meets CLAS standards
- Prepare lesson plans and classroom materials according to curriculum, utilizing program contextualized textbooks and supportive resources
- Plan a syllabus appropriate to assigned class level according to ESOL curricula guidelines and student needs
- Contribute to the on-going curriculum development process. Review and adopt new materials as needed
- Administer and score TABE Clas-E Test and BEST Plus Test for programs as needed
- Evaluate and document student progress, make placement recommendations and changes in accordance with the National Reporting Services (NRS) descriptors for Student Performance Levels and program class levels/focus
- Maintain attendance records for students in Excel, and contribute to the overall retention of students in assigned class by engaging with students between class sessions
- Coordinate instruction with other programs within workforce development to ensure that clients have maximum opportunities to improve their communication and job readiness skills, gain employment, and advance towards career goals
- Participate in the goal setting and meeting process with the students assigned in class
- Attend regularly scheduled program meetings and periodic professional training sessions. The Institute requires 20 hours of professional development per year
- Coordinate activities for interns/volunteers, including creating materials for small group sessions
- Attend regular calibration sessions for BEST Plus and TABE Clas-E Writing
- Perform other related duties as needed, including assisting with administering and scoring student evaluations, maintaining the wait list, and providing weekly student updates
- Ensure compliance with funding guidelines
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors Degree in related field required; Masters in TESOL, Linguistics, Education, or English preferred
- Minimum of one years of adult ESOL teaching experience required; experience teaching adult immigrant population preferred
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office required
- Excellent organizational, verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize duties in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in additional languages a plus
- Candidate must have dedication to the human rights of refugees, immigrants, and asylees
- Bilingual/bicultural candidates are encouraged to apply
Work Environment Conditions
- Requires travel to office
- Requires night work three evenings a week
- May require lifting materials (boxes, equipment, furniture) of up to 50 pounds
- Requires sitting (or standing) at a desk for long periods of time
- Requires looking at a computer screen for extended periods
IINE does not require applicants for most positions to show proof of Covid-19. Some federal contracts, however, require IINE staff to show proof of Covid-19 vaccination, and some immigration status adjustments, such as a Green Card, require proof of Covid-19 vaccination as well. Consequently, for some positions, IINE staff may be required to show proof of vaccination, and in others, IINE staff will be supporting clients who are required by law to have proof of vaccination in order to adjust their status in the United States.
US Work Eligibility Notice
This position requires lawful authorization to work in the United States, and IINE is unable to provide visa sponsorship in connection with this.