1. Bachelor's Degree from accredited college or university or related field.
2. Valid New Mexico Licensure with an endorsement as needed.
3. Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) endorsement preferred.
4. Must be highly qualified according to New Mexico State Standards and regulations.
5. Comprehensive knowledge of New Mexico PED Academic Standards required.
6. Must be able to organize and prioritize work and to meet deadlines.
7. Must have or obtain First Aid/CPR certification and a Navajo Nation food handler's permit.
8. Bilingual (Dine'/English) preferred.
9. Must be able to meet minimum physical requirements: sitting, standing, lifting, and carrying (up to 50lb), reaching, squatting, kneeling, and moving light furniture may be required.
10. Must have a valid driver's license with an insurable driving record.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Complies with and supports all Shiprock Associated Schools' policies and procedures including all SASI curriculum, strategies, and guidelines related to COVID-19 and any unforeseen pandemic.
2. Integrates the school philosophy and mission statement into the area of work.
3. Meet the six New Mexico State competencies:
a. The Teacher communicates accurately and effectively in the content area and maintains a professional rapport with students.
b. The Teacher maintains communication and feedback from students in a manner that enhances students' learning and understanding.
c. The Teacher appropriately utilizes a variety of teaching methods and resources for each area taught.
d. The Teacher encourages the development of student involvement, responsibility, critical thinking skills, writing skills, language usage, and reading skills in the content area.
e. The Teacher manages the classroom to ensure the best of instructional time.
f. The Teacher creates an atmosphere conducive to learning, achievement, and self-discipline.
4. Demonstrate the ability to effectively work with Native American students and parents.
5. Work effectively as a member of an educational team on a school-wide and community-wide basis in developing short- and long-term goals based on identified student needs.
6. Manages the educational setting in a manner that promotes positive student behavior and a safe and healthy environment.
7. Work effectively as a team member in collecting and analyzing data systematically through an on-going process of planning, developing, implementing and evaluating to achieve established goals.
8. Work productively with colleagues, parents, students and community members.
9. Model effective classroom management techniques and teaching strategies.
10. Model teaching strategies that foster critical thinking skills and higher order cognitive skills.
11. Model innovation, fun, and creativity in the teaching and learning process.
12. Recognizes student's diversity and creates an atmosphere conducive to the promotion of positive student involvement and self-concept.
13. Will work with the special education teacher(s) to design and implement a student's IEP of any special needs student assigned to the classroom.
14. Demonstrates a willingness to examine and implement change as appropriate.
15. Parent Contacts-participate in two parent conferences and two PAC meetings per year. Student conferences will be utilized to discuss each student's achievement. In addition, the Teacher will initiate parent contact through notes, phone calls and, when appropriate, home visits.
16. Participate in SASI sponsored in-service activities, some of which may be required of certain positions.
17. Display knowledge of current professional literature to meet the instructional focus of the school.
18. Responsible for own professional growth through an on-going program of reading, workshops, seminars, conferences, and/or advanced course work at institutions of higher learning.
19. Use current technology for instruction and management purposes.
20. Leave adequate preparations for a substitute teacher, when needed.
21. Act as a good role model within the context of the school.
22. Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro