Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work, learn, and grow! We are proud to have received the Great Colleges to Work For honor for 12 consecutive years, 2009-2020.
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty, staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go in your career, you can get there from here!
Position Title English as a Second Language (ESL) Noncredit Adjunct Faculty FLSA Non-Exempt FT/PT Part Time Hours Per Week The number of hours an adjunct teaches will vary depending on scheduling needs. Courses typically range from 3 hours to 5 hours per week. Work Schedule The ELC offers classes from 7:30 in the morning to 9:45 in the evening Mondays through Saturdays. Courses run mornings, afternoons and evenings. Position Salary Range Teachers are paid on a scale commensurate with education and experience. All mandatory workshops are paid, and some of the optional professional development workshops may be paid as well. General Responsibilities
We are looking for instructors to join our enthusiastic, energetic team of adjunct ESL faculty!
Here is what current instructors say about working for the English Language Center at Howard Community College:
- "I love teaching at HCC. I feel supported and respected by ELC leadership and staff."
- "The ELC program has been the most rewarding, supportive environment that I've ever worked for."
- "I really enjoy teaching at HCC. I have met so many wonderful, engaging students in my time as a teacher here. It is also great to be a part of such a supportive group of people."
The English Language Center at Howard Community College is seeking adjunct instructors for a variety of day, evening and weekend classes. Our instructors are passionate, knowledgeable and dedicated. They enjoy working with our diverse population of adult ESL learners and they are interested in professional development and growing as educators. We have an extensive network of support for teachers who are new to our program, including mentorship and Team Leader guidance.
- Teaching assigned course hours each week
- Lesson planning
- Regular assessment and feedback
- Attending required professional development and department meetings
- Completing required paperwork (attendance and/or grant reporting, if applicable)
- Delivering planned lessons in the classroom or online according to program standards
- Observing student progress for advancement in the ELC program
- Assessing rigorously and regularly
- Maintain accurate records
- Monitoring HCC email for program updates and information
Minimum Education Required Minimum Number of Years Experience Required Other Knowledge Required
- Current pedagogical best practices in the field of ESL
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Basic technology skills; familiarity with an LMS is beneficial
- Master's degree or higher in TESOL, linguistics, or a related field, or BA/BS in TESOL, linguistics, education, foreign language, English, or related field with ESL teaching experience, and a background or experience in teaching ESL, EFL and/or EAL.
Working Conditions Division Continuing Education & Workforce Development (Div) Department Continuing Education