Location: Austin High School
Department: Gregg ES
Salary Range: $61,500.00 - $87,500.00
Provide all students with an enriched environment containing a wide variety and range of materials that will invite intellectual growth, and to aid students in acquiring the skills needed to take full advantage of library and media resources. Works with school and district personnel to plan, implement, monitor, and evaluate community literacy events. Serves as a resource to district personnel in instructional media and library skills.
- Operate and supervise the library/media center.
- Evaluate, select, and requisition new media materials.
- Assist teachers in the selection of books and other instructional materials, make media materials available to supplement the instructional program.
- Inform teachers and other staff members concerning new media materials.
- Collaborate with teachers in planning those assignments that likely lead to extended use of library/mediaresources.
- Promote appropriate conduct of students using library/media facilities.
- Help students to develop habits of independent reference work and to develop skill in the use of reference materials in relation to planned assignments.
ILLUSTRATIVE DUTIES CONTINUED
- Issue, store, and order parts for audio-visual materials and equipment.
- Keep an up-to-date inventory of media materials and AV equipment such as print and non-print materials.
- Promote and participate in district-sponsored activities
- Provide a warm, attractive environment for students which may require maintenance of bulletin boards, arrangement of books and shelves, furniture placement, and use of AV equipment.
- Implement school media program and create a library/media center environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity level and interests of student.
- Help students use library/media center resources including computers and other equipment.
- Make recommendations for acquisitions of materials and equipment as needed.
Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree preferred
Texas Teaching certificate
Library experience preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms with all levels of management, both internal and external to the district.
- Ability to exhibit human and managerial skills.
- Ability to exhibit interpretive and reasoning skills.
- Ability to instruct.
- Ability to have repetitive hand motions.
- Ability to adjust eye to bring an object into focus; judge distance (close and distant); distinguish colors and have visual acuity.
- Ability to travel to schools throughout the district.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 10 pounds, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, walk, climb stairs, drive, and/or be mobile.
- Valid Texas Driver's license with applicable insurance coverage.
Houston Independent School District is an equal opportunity employer.