Background on Southbridge Public Schools:
Southbridge Public Schools serve approximately 2,200 students in six schools. The district is presently undergoing extensive turnaround at all levels, with the assistance of the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. This creates unique opportunities for teachers and students. One example is a long-term partnership with the University of Connecticut to develop Southbridge Schools to be a national demonstration site for successful implementation of PBIS strategies. Additionally, the district is the recipient of a number of significant grants that allow Secondary School redesign, curriculum enhancements, and improved culture and climate and afterschool opportunities for students. If you feel strongly about improving the educational experience for students and have a commitment to social justice, Southbridge Public Schools welcomes you.
More information about Southbridge Public Schools can be found here.
Responsible for remaining up to date regarding curriculum content.
2. Responsible for effective planning and assessment of curriculum and instruction.
3. Responsible for mentoring students' understanding of the curriculum effectively and adjusting instruction, materials, or assessments, when appropriate.
4. Responsible for effective management of classroom environment.
5. Responsible for effective instruction, which includes making learning goals clear to the students, using appropriate instructional and questioning techniques.
6. Responsible for using innovative approaches, and instructional strategies, including the effective use of technologies, to increase student learning and confidence to learn.
7. Responsible for the promotion of high standards and expectations for student achievement.
8. Responsible for the promotion of equity and appreciation of diversity to ensure equitable opportunities for student learning, including implementing specific strategies for students with special needs, with 504 plans and\or second language learners.
9. Performance of other job-related duties as assigned.
10. Collaborate with SPED and ELL specialists to meet the specific needs of particular students.
11. Prepare students for MCAS.
12. Understanding of High School philosophy and structure of High School teams.
13. Maintain data and documentation, as appropriate.
14. Participate in school-wide professional development and seek continual feedback and coaching to develop as a teacher
15. Responsible for assuring equal educational opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, gender, age, marital status, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, homelessness, or disability
15. Any other assigned duties by the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee.
QUALIFICATIONS - REQUIRED:
Education: Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution; Hold a valid Massachusetts Teaching License in ESL 5-12. Hold a valid Massachusetts SEI Endorsement Meet all state and federal guidelines in order to be fully licensed and Highly Qualified; Current authorization to work in the United States - Candidates must have such authorization by their first day of employment. Demonstrated experience in English Language Development (ELD) and Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) strategies
Experience in urban, high-poverty, and/or turnaround schools; Major/minor in specific teaching content area; Additional certification in Teacher of Students with Moderate Disabilities Bilingual language proficiency (Spanish/English) strongly preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Southbridge Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, gender identity, disability, religion, age, or sexual orientation.