Program Description/Summary: The ESL Distance Learning Specialist will have many duties, including the general coordination of all of adult ESL distance learning courses. They will be responsible for registering incoming students, assisting in administering pre- and post-tests, and collecting any donations. The ESL Distance Learning Specialist will also need to check-in with volunteer and/or paid teachers every day to ensure that they have everything that they need and that they are following all policies and procedures. The ESL Distance Learning Specialist will be required to participate in an orientation and is trained in administering standardized assessments, filling out registration forms, and have experience creating curriculum for adult ESL classes. The site facilitator will be responsible for developing and implementing a distance-learning workforce focused curriculum to support student's ability to fully utilize vocational/occupational training services to achieve social and economic self-sufficiency. They will be required to attend staff meetings each semester and maintain a working relationship with the ESL Program Director, who will assist them with any issues that may arise.
- Assisting ESL Program Director with management of student and volunteer files, tests, maintaining inventory of books and classroom supplies, tracking student attendance
- Responding to phone and email inquiries from prospective students
- Collects student demographics and assists with student attendance/testing results for institutional reporting and program effectiveness
- Adapting current lesson plans to implement a distance learning workforce curriculum and contribute new lessons
- Maintaining positive, mutually beneficial relationships with community partners such as churches, universities, workforce development, etc.
- The Distance Learning Specialist will work closely with the ESL Team to make referrals to partner agencies as needed.
- Collaborate with the Family Literacy Coordinator to support familial academic curriculum based lessons.
- Promote utilization of remote-learning model based instruction to increase knowledge of digital literacy
- Exercises independent judgment and initiative in making decisions related to student services; receive general to moderate supervision from Program Director Performs other related work as assigned
- Intermediate to proficient knowledge of ESL instruction, curriculum, and techniques.
Intermediate to proficient knowledge of immigrant and diverse populations and corresponding vendors and services available for clients.
Proficient in Distance Learning applications, software, and technology.
Intermediate to proficient knowledge of interviewing methods, principles, and techniques.
Ability to manage keep support plans current, and maintain accurate records.
Ability to develop a logical, feasible, and practical support plan for clients that will result in a proper self-sufficiency strategy.
Ability to evaluate the progress of clients and the quality of their services programs.
Ability to communicate effectively.
- Bachelor's degree in social work, education, or related field from an accredited institution preferred;
- Project management experience preferred;
- Classroom instruction experience preferred, classroom management/presentation/facilitation skills valued;
- Bi-lingual (English-Spanish) candidates highly preferred. Proficiency in Arabic, Haitian-Creole, Burmese, or other languages valued;
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population and sensitivity to the special needs of multi-cultural immigrant children, adults, and families;
- Ability to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned;
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including maintaining effective work relationships;
- Strong management and organizational skills, and ability to work across all levels of management and staff;
- Ability to work independently and develop creative solutions is desired;
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding all case and client information;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite preferred. Facility with database use required; and ability to learn immigration database/software.
- Ability to work some evenings/weekends.
- Have reliable transportation