Please Note: Kern Community College District accepts applications for part-time, hourly faculty pools on a continuous basis. This allows the division to contact qualified applicants immediately, if a need arises without having to wait for a period of time to advertise. If there is an interest and/or need within the specific department, applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be contacted by respective department supervisors, deans and/or division chairs. Applications submitted will remain active for up to two years.
Kern Community College District is soliciting applications for part-time, hourly adjunct instructors. The starting salary range is $60.00/hour; Hourly rate may vary based on type of assignment and the Lecture Hour Equivalent (LHE) formula. For more information, refer to the CCA collective bargaining agreement or your college HR office.
This is a pool to fill part-time instructor positions for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The successful applicant will be expected to provide instruction in a full range of ESL courses including grammar and composition, reading, listening and speaking, depending on experience, background and institutional need. This assignment may include teaching at other campus sites, day or evening classes, weekend classes, large classes, distance learning and using multiple teaching methodologies.
Other duties include: maintaining subject matter currency; developing and revising curriculum; using computer and multimedia technology; collegial participation in departmental, college and discipline-specific professional activities.
Possession of a valid credential, which authorizes the full-time teaching of ESL at the California community college level;
- Master's in TESL, TESOL, applied linguistics with a TESL emphasis, linguistics with a TESL emphasis, or English with a TESL emphasis;
- Bachelor's in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate, linguistics with a TESL certificate, applied linguistics with a TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL certificate AND Master's in linguistics, applied linguistics, English, composition, bilingual/bicultural studies, reading, speech , or any foreign language;
OR - The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form. 2020 Minimum Qualifications Handbook Faculty and Administration in California Community Colleges
AND - A demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate that they are broadly prepared and have a depth of knowledge in the discipline. In addition, the successful applicant will be able to demonstrate the following knowledge and abilities:
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues in an environment that promotes innovation, teaching, learning and service to a diverse student population;
- Ability to effectively work with students with a wide range of skills, motivations, academic, and vocational goals;
- Ability to develop curriculum, including curriculum delivered via different modalities;
- Ability to participate in recruitment and articulation activities with local schools, colleges and universities;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain subject matter currency;
- Ability to assess student learning outcomes;
- Knowledge of computers and willingness to explore new technologies that would benefit the program;
- Knowledge of and commitment to the California community college mission;
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Copy of legible transcripts
It is the applicant's responsibility to redact (or remove) any personal information from all documents prior to uploading. This includes Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth, and any photos of the applicant.
Foreign Degree: Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, INC. (ACEI). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements. EEO Plan 2021-2024
Note: The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal employment opportunity. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, in any of its policies, procedures or practices. Discrimination Free Work Environment
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
Prorated sick leave.
This position is eligible for the ACA health benefits at employee expense.
For a detailed list of benefit eligibility please visit our Benefits Website
Agency Kern Community College District