Job DescriptionJOB DESCRIPTION
Job TitleTeacher, Bilingual
Pay GradeTeacher Salary Schedule/Bilingual Stipend
Date RevisedMay 2023
SupervisorPrincipalBASIC FUNCTION & RESPONSIBILITY:
Provide bilingual education students with appropriate learning activities and experiences in the core academic subjects while developing their English and Spanish language proficiencies.CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the characteristic duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities noted herein; however, this is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.Instructional Management
- Work collaboratively with other members of staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to District requirements.
- Develop and deliver lessons according to guidelines established by the Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative guidelines that incorporate accommodations for differences in student learning
- Use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal
- Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and
- Use technology to strengthen the teaching/learning
- Help students analyze and improve study methods and
- Support and participate in meeting the objectives of the campus/department improvement
- Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Develop and modify curricula and prepare lessons and other instructional materials to student ability and language levels.
Management of Administrative, Fiscal and/or Facilities Functions:
- Create a classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Report student progress according to campus and District guidelines in a timely
- Take necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and
- Resolve parent/student issues and concerns in a timely
- Be a positive role model for
- Manage student behavior in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student
- Develop and submit lesson plans, including substitute lesson plans, as
- Work collaboratively with District staff to serve the needs of all student groups according to the guidelines established in policy.
- Assist in monitoring students and creating a safe campus environment by reporting to duty assignments as assigned by principal.
- Attend campus events and extracurricular activities, as
- Assist in selection of books, equipment, and other instructional
- Compile, maintain, and submit reports, records, and other documents, as
- Plan and supervise assignments of volunteers in the classroom, when
- Follow District and department policies and
Professional Growth and Development:
- Support the mission and vision of the campus and
- Analyze critical needs in assigned areas and work collaboratively to implement and improve
Texas Academic Performance Indicators and Campus Performance Objectives:
- Participate in professional development activities to improve job-related skills that are aligned with campus, programmatic and District needs.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees, as
- Analyze data to determine and address individual student
- Administer state-mandated testing at campuses in compliance with state and federal
- Monitor and review campus test data and use findings to assist with planning corrective action for the affected group of students and/or campuses.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and
- Interface with governmental agencies, business and civic organizations, and the community to provide needed information and to promote the District's initiatives.
- Foster positive morale by participating in team building activities and the decision-making
- Communicate and collaborate with campus/department staff to enhance service delivery, program development, and customer satisfaction.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, including but not limited to State Board of Education and local Board policy.
- Perform other job-related duties as
Provide guidance and direction as assigned.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for assigned
- Knowledge of English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS)
- Knowledge of the Proficiency Level Descriptors (PLDs)
- Knowledge of Sheltered Instruction strategies
- Knowledge of second language acquisition strategies, particularly those applicable to dual language programs
- Knowledge of bilingual program models for the state of Texas
- Knowledge of the Linguistic Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC)
- Knowledge of curriculum design, implementation, evaluation, and refinement
- Knowledge of continuous improvement
- Skill in using technology as a learning tool in all content
- Skill in engaging others in collective inquiry and problem
- Skill in collecting, analyzing, and using data to support student
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing in Spanish and English
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues to enhance instructional practices in a professional learning community
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and valid Texas Teacher Certificate with required bilingual endorsements and/or required training for subject and level assignment.PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS:
- Maintain emotional control under
- Work with frequent
- Use computer for prolonged period resulting in repetitive hand
- Lift and carry up to 20
- Move textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom
- Work occasional prolonged or irregular
- Communicate in both English and Spanish
- Work is normally performed in an interior work environment with little or no exposure to physical