Location: Schenectady, NY Category: Other Posted On: Wed Jul 27 2022 Job Description:
SUNY Schenectady County Community College is seeking an English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor for their Workforce Development and Continuing Education program. This position(s) requires a responsible instructor capable of planning, implementing, instructing, assessing, and evaluating an educational program for Non-credit Community Education courses in English as a Second Language.
The Workforce Development & Community Education division offers a variety of Non- credit Community Education courses.
The individual is responsible for delivery of a course outline, syllabus, lectures, assessment materials, and materials related to the course. The course outline and/or syllabus will be provided to WFD&CE prior to the start of each course. WFD&CE has classrooms on our main campus and satellite locations in Schenectady. Depending on the needs of the student cohort, instruction may be delivered in-person or virtually, synchronously or asynchronously. The instructor will assist students in achieving proficiency in ESL, as well as provide feedback and evaluation. The instructor may be required to work with community funding and industry partners. This is a part time position.
ESL Instructor Responsibilities include:
- Administer and evaluate assessments as appropriate.
- Plan and conduct activities/lessons based on ESL teaching methodologies.
- Differentiate instruction so as to meet all students' learning styles, abilities and needs.
- Assess, track and provide feedback to students on achievement and developmental needs.
- Encourage, engage and motivate students to speak in English.
- Complete administrative tasks such as attendance, reports and evaluations.
- In partnership with a WFD&CE Coordinator, assist students with college transition services (ie: collecting relevant documents, admissions process, prior learning assessment, financial aid access, student support services, etc.).
- Bachelor's Degree and extensive experience in the course field.
- Experience within a diverse classroom setting with students of differing ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to demonstrate expertise in appropriate field
- Master's degree (TEFL certification)
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Offers of employment will be conditional based on the successful completion of a background check.