The Paraprofessional Instructor will reside in the Department of Adult Education and report directly to the Director of Adult CTE. The mission of BPS Adult Ed is to provide a variety of flexible programs to
ensure that Boston residents have access to quality instruction, job training, and college and career advising. We honor the diversity of our students by promoting equity and inclusion. BPS Adult Ed annually serves about 800 adult students who want to learn English, participate in vocational training, improve their academic level and/or graduate from high school. Day and evening, as well as in-person, online, and virtual programs, are offered.
The Paraprofessional Instructor is central to the success of the ESOL Paraprofessional program. The Paraprofessional Instructor will work directly with the Director of CTE to structure and develop quality technical programming that will showcase and prepare students for the variety of all skills and knowledge needed to thrive in the industry of K-12 classroom learning. In addition to management of class curriculum, this role will require the development of core competencies to ensure students enrolled reach a base level understanding for entry-level, in-field placement as a Teacher Assistant or Paraprofessional. The Paraprofessional Instructor will take lead on curriculum building week to week throughout the duration of the program and ensure that all programming is aligned with industry-recognized standards and best practices.
The ideal candidate for this position will have an ESL teaching license, experience providing pre-or in-service teacher development and demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills; exceptional presentation skills; and the ability to manage adults in a classroom setting. Class Instruction:
12 hours per week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 6:00-9:00 PM) and six alternating Saturdays at 5 hours. Additional paid planning time. There is the possibility of splitting this work between two or more people, so even candidates interested in fewer than 12-17 hours per week should apply. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Respond to the Director of CTE and administrative requests in a timely manner and complete all responsibilities effectively; prompt in keeping appointments, attending meetings (when possible), starting classes on time. Respond to students in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate effective teaching including preparation, meeting course goals, organization and presentation of material, student involvement, and classroom management.
- Plan and implement vocational ESL curriculum that is grounded in a career in K-12 education.
- Plan, develop projects, exams or assignments that gauge students' ability to critically think, assess, troubleshoot and problem-solve.
- Provide service in a pleasant, helpful, and effective manner to our students, community, and business partners.
- Maintain continuity of messaging between students, and the administrative team.??
- Ensure that students receive appropriate career/vocational/technical and academic instruction and experiences to qualify for employment opportunities in the education industry
- Assist the Director of CTE Plan for, procure and maintain appropriate supply levels to meet the demands on materials, assessments codes and/or vouchers for industry credentials.
QUALIFICATIONS - REQUIRED
- Bi-weekly meetings with Director of CTE to ensure quality of week-to-week instruction
- Establish a structured, positive, and inspiring school culture.
- Collaborate with co-teachers to ensure a rigorous, joyful, and safe environment for students and staff.
- Assist in establishing and maintaining the goals, philosophy, and policies of BPS Adult Education.
- Communicate effectively with Senior Director and Director of CTE and program administrator(s) on student and program issues.
Salary Grade Level:
- Strong commitment to the Department of Adult Education's mission, values, and educational model
- 2-5 years of experience teaching a diverse/multicultural student population in a classroom setting, preferably in the BPS K-12 system
- Experience working with the adult learner population
- Possess a flexible and growth mindset that allows them to adjust to the changing demands of teaching in an adult education setting.
- Attention to detail to ensure that accurate records are maintained and shared.
- Ability to create meaningful relationships with a diverse student population.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to effectively collaborate with students, teachers, and administrators
- Strong analytical, organizational, and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent organizational, time management, and oral and written communication skills in English.
- ESL teaching license.
- Current authorization to work in the United States.
- A deeply held and unyielding belief in the overarching mission of public education and opportunities for adult learners
COMPENSATION RANGE: BTU STIPEND
The Boston Public Schools, in accordance with its nondiscrimination policies, does not discriminate in its programs, facilities, employment, or educational opportunities on the basis of race, color, age, criminal record (inquiries only), disability, homelessness, sex/gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, genetics or military status and does not tolerate any form of retaliation, or bias-based intimidation, threat or harassment that demeans individuals' dignity or interferes with their ability to learn or work.