Location: Whidby Elementary School
Department: Whidby ES
Salary Range: $61,500.00 - $81,000.00
Stipend: $10,000 NES, $2,000 Professional Development
Provides students with appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical and social growth.
- Plan a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students.
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for individual differences.
- Prepare for classes assigned and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- Encourage students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Guide the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and, in harmony with the goals, establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, and the like to communicate these objectives to the students.
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided, and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Strive to implement, by instruction and action, the district's philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Assess the accomplishments of the students on a regular basis and provide progress reports as required.
- Refer students for evaluation by district specialists as required.
- Take necessary and reasonable precautions to protect the students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulations.
- Assist the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct. Develop reasonable rules of classroom behavior. Maintain order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Make provisions for being available to the students and to the parents for education-related purposes when required.
- Plan and supervise purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s) and, cooperatively with department heads, evaluate their job performance.
- Maintain and improve professional competence.
- Participate in district staff development.
- Attend staff meetings and serve on staff committees.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues.
- Establish and maintain open lines of communication with students, parents, and community members.
- Maintain open communication with parents.
ILLUSTRATIVE DUTIES CONTINUED
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Texas Teacher Certificate appropriate for level and/or subject area of assignment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms with all levels of management, both internal and external to the district.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internal and external to the district.
- Ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into focus; judge distance (close and distant); reach with arms extended and use hands to manipulate the keyboard.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 10 pounds, stoop, kneel, crouch, walk, twist, bend, climb, and/or be mobile.
- Ability to travel throughout the district and city by means of private or public transportation. If driving personal (or private) vehicle, must possess a valid driver's license and appropriate insurance coverage.
Houston Independent School District is an equal opportunity employer.