ESOL Instructor FLSA:
Part-Time REPORTS TO:
Senior Director, Business Services
Come and join an exciting team at JVS Boston! We work with many employers in Boston, assisting their employees to develop and improve their English language skills. You can make a difference and help people advance in their careers! New contracts starting often, with evening and afternoon instructors needed. Evening availability a plus! This position is part-time, approximately 6-8 hours per week. (half time teaching, half time planning hours).About the Business Services and EFA Team
: The JVS Business Services Division builds relationships with and engages Boston area employers in sustainable workforce development programs. JVS creates specially tailored educational and training programs coupled with a network of services and supports designed to help employers and their staff gain the education and skills needed for superior performance, job satisfaction, and career advancement. Through the English for Advancement (EFA) Program, our team also helps individuals gain the language and job readiness skills they need to gain employment or advance to the next step in their career pathway.
The ideal candidate is flexible, collaborative, and open to learning. Many of our on-site classes may take place in non-traditional learning environments when delivered at employers (restaurants, manufacturing facilities, hospitals) so innovation and adaptability are key.
- Evening instructors highly in demand! Evening availability is a plus!
- Part-time hours available for several types of classes. Help individuals gain skills for employment, or teach workplace education classes to help employees improve their skills.
- Part-time with the possibility of full-time depending on availability
: Under the direction of their Manager, the Instructor will:
- Develop and deliver contextualized lessons that build participants” English skills for life and work.
- Evaluate progress and skill attainment of individual participants on a scheduled basis.
- Assist their manager in compiling reports for funders or evaluators.
- Attend strategic team meetings within the Business Services department as well as agency wide JVS meetings.
- Work collaboratively with each member of the Business Services team to assist students in obtaining the skills needed to successfully do their current jobs, as well as to upgrade their skills in order to move up in their career.
- Support and promote the mission and philosophy of JVS both internally and outside the agency.
- Understand the role of project collaborators, particularly if from other programs, and work together to achieve outcomes.
- Establish relationships with key stakeholders (participants, employers, partner organizations, funders,) and work collaboratively in a structured and on-going manner.
- Work collaboratively with and encourage collaboration between team members to ensure performance goals are met.
- Provide assistance to fellow team members when needed.
- Communicate regularly with the program Manager to ensure smooth delivery of services.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues from across JVS to achieve and track outcomes.
- Generate strategy and solutions in response to unforeseen change, setbacks, and challenges.
- Take ownership of the instructor role as a leader both in and outside the classroom.
- Be flexible to individual learning styles and set appropriate limits to ensure all students have an equal opportunity to learn.
- Deliver all subject matter outlined in the curriculum with the goal of ensuring that students obtain the predetermined outcomes (skills)
- Assign, edit and correct student work in a timely and ongoing basis.
- Provide students with feedback regarding performance in class and discuss any obstacles that may be impeding progress.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Track and report attendance, homework completion, classroom participation and testing outcomes on a weekly/monthly basis
- Assist their manager with program summary reports for employers, funders, JVS leadership and other stakeholders.
- Assist with planning and implementation of Celebration of Achievement ceremonies at the end of class.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Highly professional presence and communication skills are a must, as the instructor will be representing JVS off site at employer/partner sites and will need to maintain good relationships with our employer partners.
- BS/BA in Education or related field, TESOL Certificate and/or Master's preferred
- 2-3 years of workplace or related training/teaching experience preferred
- Knowledge of adult learning theory
- Ability to work with a diverse group of clients
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently
- Instructional planning
- Instructional delivery
- Progress reporting /tracking
- Student skill attainment
- Promotes Agency
- Building Relationships, Collaboration and Teamwork
- Adapting to Change
- Accountability and Results Focused
- Communication Skills
- Cultural Competency and Respect
JVS is strongly committed to diversity and a workplace environment that respects, appreciates and values employee differences and similarities. By providing and supporting a work culture that fosters and builds upon diversity and its strengths, JVS will better serve our local communities and continue to provide quality services. JVS is an employment at-will organization and an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, JVS prohibits retaliation against an applicant or employee because he or she has engaged in protected activity under the statutes About JVS Boston:
Jewish Vocational Service (JVS) is a non-profit, non-sectarian agency that is one of the largest providers of workforce development services in Greater Boston. Our mission is to: Empower individuals from diverse communities to overcome barriers to employment and begin building careers. Establish partnerships with employers to hire and train productive workforces.