The salary range for this position is $38.25 - $45.00 per hour depending upon qualifications and is non-negotiable.
By applying to this position, your application will be kept on file for up to one year and reviewed based on program needs. Please be sure to submit a cover letter, as it is required for consideration.
SDSU Global Campus, American Language Institute (ALI) provides English language training to international students. Many of these students are preparing to matriculate to American universities, including SDSU.
Teaching hours for this position vary from 3-15 hours per week. Classes are typically offered Monday-Thursday 9:00am - 3:30pm and Friday from 9:00am - 1:30pm. This position is not set for teleworking. Classes are taught 100% in person.
Reporting to the ESL Director, the Part-time ESL Instructor is responsible for performing college-level classroom instruction. The instructor must be able to teach a variety of skills and subjects to a variety of English proficiency levels; demonstrate teaching excellence and knowledge of subject matter.
Classroom and Instruction Related 93%
- Teach a variety of skill areas and levels, as assigned by the director, to meet program needs.
- Prepare and present course content in keeping with the course title, including a final test or evaluation.
- Maintain the degree of quality instruction which will ensure a beneficial learning experience for students.
- Keep accurate records of student attendance and submits these as scheduled.
- Keep accurate records of student progress (grades) and completes mid-semester and final grade reports according to instructions and timetables.
- Develop curriculum at all levels, especially in new content areas.
- Provide a syllabus, calendar, and attendance policy for each class taught.
- Use audiovisual aids and other materials to supplement presentations.
Non-Instruction Related Support 5%
- Participate in orientation activities, as assigned.
- Advise students of ALI policies and events during class time.
- Attend staff and professional development meetings, as requested.
- Attend certificate ceremonies and other social activities; may conduct field trips.
- Ensure a smooth transition to university/college life for international students.
Other Duties and Responsibilities as Assigned 2%
Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of the subject matter of the discipline to which the individual is assigned.
- Ability to relate well to others within the academic environment.
- Ability to instruct and evaluate students.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to be well organized, detail oriented and possess good judgment and common sense.
- Demonstrate a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Minimum 2 years of experience teaching in a university-based IEP (Intensive English Program) OR in a similar ESL institute.
- Master's degree, in TESL, Applied Linguistics or related field.
- Foreign language proficiency and period of residence abroad preferred.
- Teacher training experience preferred.
- Ability to teach math is a plus.
- Teaching standardized testing prep is a plus.
ADDITIONAL APPLICANT INFORMATION:
- Candidate must reside in California or live in a commutable distance from SDSU at the time of hire.
- San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
- A background check (including a criminal records check) and Livescan (if applicable) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. SDSU Research Foundation will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current SDSU Research Foundation employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Req No.: 2023-15291
Starting Salary: $45.00/hr
External Company URL: http://www.foundation.sdsu.edu/
Street: 5250 Campanile Dr