Zhejiang University International Campus
Academic English Instructor
About Zhejiang University & ZJU International Campus
Zhejiang University (ZJU), founded in 1897, is one of China's oldest and most prestigious universities. It is a member of China’s Elite C9 League University and is current ranked 42nd globally according to the QS World Rankings in 2023.
In 2016, Zhejiang University opened a high-profile campus, Zhejiang University International Campus, which is an international extension of Zhejiang University (iZJU). iZJU is hybrid, multinational education modeling focusing on English as the Medium of Instruction and providing an international and intercultural education. iZJU is currently in partnerships with other prestigious universities across the world. Current partners of the ZJU International Campus are the University of Edinburgh (Biomedical Sciences) and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Engineering) and more partnerships with other prestigious universities across the world are currently being built.
Students enrolled in iZJU are held to the same academic standards and requirements as Zhejiang University and enroll in a dual-degree program with ZJU and its partner universities abroad. The International Campus of Zhejiang University aims to become the pinnacle of transnational education bringing together the best practices of higher education across the world into one single campus.
The campus is located in Haining, Zhejiang and is becoming one of China’s fastest growing cities in the “One-hour Economic Circle” of Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Suzhou. These three major metropolises are easily accessible through the subway and national train system (1-2 hours). Enjoy both sprawling cities and quiet, serene neighborhoods in a fast-developing city.
About the Language Center
The Language Center is committed to providing a supportive language learning environment aimed to enhance English proficiency, especially in communicative and academic competencies. Through classes and activities, the Language Center aims at cultivating students with creativity, intercultural awareness and participation, critical thinking, and life-long learning skills mixing western style academics specifically tailored for Chinese students. The Language Center is responsible for the delivery of credit-bearing courses which are for both undergraduate degrees programs in the affiliate partnership universities. The Language Center also supports graduate student language development and offers continuous language support across the whole campus for all students, staff, and faculty.
Job Description & Responsibilities
- Location: Haining, Zhejiang Province, China
- Term: 2 years, starting from Fall semester, 2023
- Workload: 40 hours/week, including 15-16 teaching hours/week
- Teaching English for general and specific academic purposes with a focus on communicative competence for enhanced academic participation (including discussions, interviews, and presentations)
- Teaching academic writing with a focus on academic discourse, genre, and literacy.
- Organizing events, activities, and workshops to create an encouraging language learning environment and to enhance students' motivation in learning English.
- Master's degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics (or equivalent) or TEFL/ Cambridge/ ESOL/ DELTA
- Native English speaker
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in English language teaching at the university level
- Experience in teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP) / English for Specific Purposes (ESP), preferably in higher education context
- Confidence in analyzing student progress, individual academic performance, and providing clear, constructive feedback on both students' spoken and written work
- Ability to collaborate and work in team, and to teach and assess to agreed criteria
- Experience in teaching in China
- Experience in teaching English for STEM subjects
- Experience in teaching academic writing courses
- Experience in EAP/ESP curriculum and materials design
- Experience in EAP/ESP Assessment design
- Experience in the innovative use of technology to support teaching and learning
Conditions of Employment
The contract of employment will be held with ZJU International Campus, and the appointment and the conditions will be governed by the employment laws of China and the policies and practices of Zhejiang University.
Please use the APPLY button to email the following documents t
Only successful applicants will be contacted and invited for an interview. Interviews will be conducted in person or online. Recruitment decisions are made by a committee taking into account the application, prior experience, and the current needs of the role.