English Language Institute Full-time Instructor
- University of California San Diego
- La Jolla, California
- Closing date
- May 30, 2023
- Job Role
- Teacher / Instructor
- Job Type
English Language Institute Full-time Instructor
University of California San Diego
Position title: English Language InstituteInstructor (FT) Salary range: A reasonable salaryrange estimate for this position is $68,090/yr-$80,420/yr.
The posted UC academic salary scales (https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/compensation/2022-23-academic-salary-scales.html)set the minimum pay determined by rank and/or step at appointment.See the following table for the salary scale for this position[https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/2022-23/july-2022-salary-scales/t39.pdf]Application Window
Open date: May 1, 2023
Next review date: Monday, Jun 5, 2023 at 11:59pm(Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by thecommittee.
Final date: Tuesday, Apr 30, 2024 at 11:59pm(Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, butthose received after the review date will only be considered if theposition has not yet been filled.
The English Language Institute (ELI) at UC San Diego is seeking aninnovative and experienced full-time instructor to teach academicEnglish, general English, English for specific purposes, testpreparation, teacher training, and cultural courses to pre-college,college, graduate, professional, and tourist student populations.This is a 12-month position, with seven non-working weeks per yearwith an excellent comprehensive benefits package. The ELI offers8-week, 4-week, and customized intensive and part-time Englishlanguage programs at all proficiency levels. Classes arepredominantly in-person although instructors may have some hybridand online teaching opportunities. Full-time instructors areexpected to participate in curriculum development, studentorientations, placement testing and assessment, CEA accreditationtasks, student activities, and other relevant programadministration. Successful candidates will demonstrate strongaccomplishments in areas contributing to diversity, equity andinclusion, and a desire to play a leadership role in advancing UCSan Diego's commitment to achieving excellence and diversity.
- Teach 20 hours per week.
- Prepare and execute lesson plans in keeping with the coursetitle and description, course objective, and student learningoutcomes of assigned courses.
- Assess student characteristics, needs, interests, and learningstyles, and develop new course materials and activities to maximizethe effectiveness of instruction.
- Create a classroom environment conducive to learning.
- Revise lessons to include information and topics which arecurrent and relevant for ELI students. Update teaching methodologyto reflect current technology and developments in second languageteaching.
- Hold conferences with students as needed to address individualneeds.
- Evaluate all students in courses assigned during the first fewdays of the program to determine that students are appropriatelyplaced. Initiate class changes if students are not appropriatelyplaced.
- Assign homework regularly; correct and return it promptly.
- Maintain academic performance and attendance records.
- Mentor new by-agreement/part-time instructors.
- Participate in instructor meetings and committees such ascurriculum, assessment, CEA accreditation, student events,orientation, etc.
- Assist with placement testing, orientations, and other relevantadministrative tasks at the start and end of each programterm.
- Maintain currency in the field through active participation inprofessional development activities.
Basic qualifications (Required at Time ofApplication)
- Master's degree or higher in TESOL, or Master's degree inclosely related field (e.g. Applied Linguistics) with courseworksuccessfully completed in the following areas: Language teachingmethodology, The nature of language (e.g., linguistics), Englishstructure, Second language acquisition, Interculturalcommunication, and Practicum.
- 2 years of teaching experience in a university IntensiveEnglish Program
- Experience in second language assessment plus at least one ofthe following: curriculum development, test preparation, onlineteaching, English for specific purposes, content-based instruction,teacher training, program administration, or CEA accreditation
- Working knowledge of instructional technology and educationplatforms such as Canvas LMS, Microsoft and Google Suites.
- Demonstrated excellent proficiency in English
- Demonstrated experience collaborating on course content withother educators and stakeholders
- Resume - Your most recently updated resume showing month/yearthat all teaching jobs started and ended, and all breaks inteaching. Resume must also show number of teaching hours per weekand approximate class sizes at all teaching jobs
- Letter of Interest
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Applicants shouldsummarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. Seeour Faculty Equity site for more information.
- Miscellaneous (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
Help contact: email@example.com
The University of California, San Diego is an EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusiveexcellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration foremployment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexualorientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age,covered veteran status, or other protected categories covered bythe UC nondiscrimination policy.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply withthe University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) VaccinationProgram Policy. All Covered Individuals under the policy mustprovide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit arequest for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability,and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) nolater than the applicable deadline. For new University ofCalifornia employees, the applicable deadline is eight weeks aftertheir first date of employment.
The University of California prohibits smoking andtobacco use at all University controlled properties.
The UC San Diego Annual Security & Fire Safety Report isavailable online at: https://www.police.ucsd.edu/docs/annualclery.pdf.This report provides crime and fire statistics, as well asinstitutional policy statement & procedures. Contact the UC SanDiego Police Department at (858) 534-4361 if you want to obtainpaper copies of this report.
San Diego, California
To apply, please visit: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF03500
jeid-e70b17a78e6da44db62c5c1bade654eaPandoLogic. Keywords: English Language - Instructor, Location: La Jolla, CA - 92093
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert