Bucksmore Academic Manager
- Nord Anglia
- Closing date
- May 31, 2023
Bucksmore provides academic short courses to students aged 10-18 that have been modelled on American summer camps, with 'Counsellors' who live with students, teach lessons and lead excursions and activities, providing a higher level of pastoral care, guidance, and friendship - giving students more than just 'teachers' and 'activity leaders' at a summer school.
Recognising that high-achieving and well-motivated individual students wanted more from a UK summer school than just English language, excursions and afternoon activities, we have developed more challenging courses such as EFL based Young Leaders and the subject based courses Young Professionals, University Preparation and Advanced Studies. In 2019 Bucksmore were proud to have been awarded the PIEoneer 'Language Educator of the Year' award showcasing our commitment to innovation and student involvement.
With over 40 years of experience to perfect and improve the quality of our prestigious summer schools, we are proud of the academic short courses we offer. It is our goal for each one of our courses to be the best course that our students have ever attended. We welcome over 75 different student nationalities every year across our courses and ensure there is always a good mix of students on our courses.
Academic Managers on Bucksmore courses are responsible for delivery of Academic programmes, the academic management and organisation of the centre. They work to ensure the curriculum is delivered effectively and meets the standards set out by the Head office Head of Education (in direct line management). Furthermore, as one of the three principle senior members of staff, the role works closely with the Centre Manager to aid the smooth and effective running of the centre. Both the Academic Manager and Activity Manager line manage the residential staff so good communication with the Activity Manager and administrative staff will ensure the most effective use of staff time outside of teaching duties.
The list below summarises the key tasks of the role and is not a definitive list of all the tasks to be undertaken as those can be varied from time to time at the discretion of the Centre Manager, Bucksmore Head of Education and Head Office Team. Bucksmore will exercise this right reasonably.
- Organising the placement and induction of students where required
- Providing support and guidance to tutors and programme counsellors including leading the inductions
- Time-tabling classes and allocating Counsellors or relevant teaching staff to teach appropriate class
- Effectively manage materials and resources
- Maintain academic administration as set out by the Bucksmore Head Office Academic Manager
- Carrying out lesson observation and feedback and end of course staff appraisals
- Teaching as required to meet operational demands
- Ensuring all end of course student reports are completed at the appropriate times
- Assisting the Centre Manager in the set-up and shut down of the centre, including ensuring all teaching resources are in place and at the end of the course are returned to Head Office
- Assisting the Centre Manager in the day to day running of the centre, including standing in for the Centre Manager in their absence
- Assisting with the induction, meeting and greeting of new arrivals
- Supervise student wake-ups and bed-times with the centre management team
- Planning, implementing and running weekly academic group projects and project presentations
- Ensuring that the Bucksmore policies and procedures are kept and exceeded
- Speaking to students, Bucksmore agents and parents about academic matters when necessary
- Arrange peer observations and cover for the duration of peer observation
- Assist with safeguarding protocols as and when required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert