Faculty in EAP
- Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
- Suzhou, Jiangsu (CN)
- Highly competitive salary (220,000-451,000RMB per year before tax)
- Closing date
- Jul 2, 2023
- Job Role
- Teacher / Instructor
- Focus Area
- Postsecondary Education
- Job Type
University: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
School: School of Languages
Department: English Language Centre
Position: Faculty in EAP
Location: Suzhou (SIP/Taicang), China
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young and dynamic EMI university founded in 2006, and is the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for 100 programmes. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 21,000 students and more than 920 academic staff representing in excess of 89 nationalities.
About The English Language Centre
The English Language Centre (ELC) is a growing centre with approximately 200 full-time faculty coming from a range of backgrounds and cultures. We are involved in teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP) for all of Year 1, a cohort of over 5,000 students. In addition, we teach EAP in Years 2 and 3 as well as a Postgraduate EAP programme. All students in the university can also take advantage of our comprehensive continuous academic support programme. ELC staff enable and empower our students through expert and semi-specialised language and skills training. They develop multiple academic literacies that bring degree success. Career development support and possibilities for EAP practitioners and scholars are excellent, not least because we are in a phase of exciting renewal and growth both as an institution and as a centre. The ELC is especially proud to be the first institution outside the UK to be both accredited by British Association of Lecturers in EAP (BALEAP) and the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL).
Due to our continuing growth, the ELC has several openings for Faculty for suitably experienced, creative, and inspiring EAP language teachers, and you are encouraged to apply for a position according to your education, qualifications, and experience.
The workload of Language Faculty in the ELC is shared between teaching, professional engagement, and service. Generally, teaching may be up to 20 hours per week, which might include the summer period.
- have a good standard of written and spoken English AND
- possess a relevant master’s degree in Education/Language Teaching/TESOL/TEFL/Applied Linguistics/English/English Studies)
- possess another master’s degree and have a minimum 2 years’ full-time post-master’s experience of English teaching experience.
- Teaching assessing and/or developing materials for English for Academic Purposes.
- possess a language teaching qualification (e.g., DELTA or equivalent, CELTA, TESOL/TESL/TEFL)
- having or working towards Fellowship or Senior Fellowship, HEA
- can demonstrate a dynamic and innovative engagement in one or more of the following areas:
- Technology Enhanced Language Learning
- Content and Language Integrated Learning
- All specialisms in EAP including writing centre development and the provision of online and other forms of student engagement and academic support; communicative and task-based methodologies; syllabus and materials design; skills-oriented assessment; problem-based language learning; the promotion of learner autonomy; self-access and self-diagnostic language learning
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at XJTLU is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised that candidates over 60 may be not eligible for a work visa in Suzhou.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development training sessions are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Highly competitive salary (220,000-451,000RMB per year)
*Approx. $31,930-$65,450 at time of publication
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various monthly/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance/monthly
- Travel allowance/annual
- Relocation allowance/one-off
- Children’s Education allowance/eligible
- Comprehensive International Health Insurance: international health insurance plans (including dental and optical care) customized for staff and their family member/s (for details refer to the University Policy).
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Maternity / paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
- Working visa and residence permit in China:
XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for staff.
5. Research Funding Support
The university provides every new faculty members with Research Development Fund to encourage them to initiate research projects, and Research Engagement Fund provided to support their continuous research activities.
Please submit your application online via the link here
*Applications should include 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter (in your letter, please tell us where you saw the ad)
- A current CV
- If available, please attach three reference letters, at least one of which is from a current or former line manager. If you cannot provide reference letters at the time of application, please include the names/titles/email contacts for three referees. In this case, referees are contacted only after you have received an offer of employment from XJTLU.
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email to email@example.com. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry. For specific enquiries relating to online application, please email HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert