Chinese Mutual Aid Association (CMAA) is seeking a full-time Office Administrative Technology Bridge and ESL Instructor and to support its Adult Education and Transitions programs. The instructor will continue to teach and improve the current Office and Administrative Technology Bridge course designed to help prepare limited English proficient adult learners to succeed in the workforce, access postsecondary education or training opportunities, and otherwise participate in their communities, as well as teach standard ESL and ABE classes. This is a full-time position that will require both teaching classes and support curriculum development at CMAA's Chicago office.
About Chinese Mutual Aid Association
Chinese Mutual Aid Association (CMAA) is a community-based organization, dedicated to fostering the integration of the Pan-Asian immigrant and refugee community into U.S. culture. Established in 1981, CMAA has been a cornerstone of the Uptown community since then, providing programming for generations of youth, adults, and senior citizens. The Adult Education and Workforce Department provides English as a Second Language, Adult Basic Education, Contextualized Healthcare Literacy Bridge, Office/Administrative Technology Literacy Bridge, and Digital Literacy classes; and assists clients with transitioning into the workforce and further education, through workshops and individualized counseling.
The OAT Bridge and ESL Instructor is responsible for the following:
- Teaching and providing curriculum modifications as necessary for the OfficeTechnology Bridge program design with support of management and Transitions team by planning, organizing, and providing contextualized Office and Administrative Technology classes to limited English proficient adults at our Chicago office, local off site teaching locations, and/or virtually
- Conducting student and client orientation of CMAA services and student outreach for the program
- Staying up to date on trends regarding career prospects, online learning platforms and certifications in the office administration field
- Collaborating with the Transitions Team to incorporate career readiness and employability skills into weekly lessons
- Supporting CMAA student enrollment efforts, taking a lead for students enrolling in Office Technology Bridge
- Teaching ESL and ABE classes, in-person, online, and/or hybrid class formats
- Developing and delivering lesson plans that utilize a broad range of differentiated techniques, addressing Illinois ESL Content Standards and ensuring that learners meet or exceed state-wide program metrics
- Monitoring student attendance, goals, referrals, and testing; administering assessments to evaluate student progress
- Surveying student needs and to enhance programming
- Other duties as assigned
We're seeking candidates who display a deep commitment to offering high-quality literacy programming, experience, developing innovative and culturally-competent lessons, have excellent organizational skills, demonstrate initiative, have a high level critical thinking skills, and are strong communicators. You are a good fit for this role if you have:
- Bachelor's degree related to education, English language acquisition, technology, or other relevant field. (required)
- Professional experience and/or education in ESL, administrative and/or office management is a plus.
- Experience teaching limited-English proficient students and contextualized literacy and/or bridge/IET programming
- Strong proficiency with Google platforms, Microsoft Office, accessing internal public databases, and LMS
- High proficiency in professional office environments and business practices
- Experience managing multiple projects and a demonstrated ability to adhere to deadlines
- Proven ability to work both independently and as a team member, cooperating with and demonstrating cultural sensitivity to staff and constituents
- Ability to work remotely; access to reliable internet
- Fluency in a second language is a plus but not required. Preferred fluency in Amharic, Cantonese, Mandarin, and/or Vietnamese
Chinese Mutual Aid Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.