ESL & Healthcare Literacy Instructor
- Chinese Mutual Aid Association Inc
- Chicago, Illinois
- Closing date
- Mar 20, 2023
- Job Role
- Teacher / Instructor
Chinese Mutual Aid Association (CMAA) is a seeking full-time ESL & Healthcare Literacy Instructor to prepare limited English proficient adult learners to succeed in the workforce, access postsecondary education or training opportunities, and otherwise participate in their communities. This person will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to work independently as well as collaboratively. This is an in-person position with options to work remotely when the schedule permits.
About Chinese Mutual Aid Association
Chinese Mutual Aid Association (CMAA) is a community-based organization, dedicated to fostering the integration of the Pan-Asian immigrant and refugee community into U.S. culture. Established in 1981, CMAA has been a cornerstone of the Uptown community since then, providing programming for generations of youth, adults, and senior citizens. The Adult Education and Workforce Department provides English as a Second Language, Adult Basic Education, Contextualized Healthcare Literacy Bridge, Office/Administrative Technology Literacy Bridge, and Digital Literacy classes; and assists clients with transitioning into the workforce and further education, through workshops and individualized counseling.
The ESL and Healthcare Literacy Instructor is responsible for the following:
- Planning, organizing, and providing workforce readiness, civics, and contextualized healthcare literacy classes to limited English proficient adults at CM A A's Chicago office.
- Becoming CPR trained to certify students in the healthcare class (paid by CMAA).
- Developing and delivering lesson plans that utilize a broad range of differentiated techniques, addressing Illinois ESL Content Standards and ensuring that learners meet or exceed state-wide program metrics.
- Working with Transition Specialist and OT/HEPP Case Manager to develop and update curricula according to employer needs.
- Teaching a mix of in-person and online classes per term, using online learning management systems for classroom instruction. Monitoring student attendance, goals, referrals, and testing; administering assessments for the purpose of evaluating student progress.
- Advocating on behalf of Adult Education students, working with management and development staff to identify opportunities for program growth.
- Other duties as assigned
- We're seeking candidates who have excellent organizational skills, demonstrate initiative and strong critical thinking skills, and are strong communicators.
- You should have:
- A Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field
- Experience teaching limited-English proficient students and contextualized literacy and / or bridge programming and/or a teaching certificate
- Experience managing multiple projects, the ability to keep concise and accurate records, the ability to adapt to changing work priorities and maintain flexible working hours
- Proven ability to work both independently and as a team member, cooperating with and demonstrating cultural sensitivity to staff and constituents
- Proficiency in a second language is a plus, but not required
Chinese Mutual Aid Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert