Lecturer, English as a Second Language
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Urbana, Illinois
- Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Mar 25, 2023
- Job Role
- Professor / Lecturer
- Focus Area
- Postsecondary Education
- Job Type
The Department of Linguistics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign invites applications for a full-time, 12-month Lecturer appointment to teach 3 speaking or writing courses per academic year in the English as a Second Language (ESL) program, such as English Pronunciation and Oral Communication or Oral Communication for International Teaching Assistants. The target start date of appointment is August 16, 2023. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The successful candidate will also be primarily responsible for the development, validation, administration and coordination of the English Proficiency Interview (EPI), a state-mandated, university-level speaking test for international teaching assistants. The EPI has a long history that stretches back decades. The current EPI has both an on-campus and an online version that is offered to approximately 600 graduate students each year. The candidate will oversee the operational management activities for the EPI, supervise the EPI raters and assistants, and monitor compliance with University IRB requirements for research related to EPI/ESL.
· Master’s degree in Teaching English as a Second Language or an equivalent terminal degree with a TESL focus is required with the completion date no later than August 1, 2023.
· Minimum three years experience of ESL teaching and curriculum development at the university level.
· Minimum three years experience in language assessment.
· PhD degree in Second Language Studies, TESOL, Applied Linguistics or a closely related field, with a specialization in Language Testing and Assessment, Educational Measurement, Technology Enhanced Language Learning, or Second Language Speaking and Writing.
· Experience coordinating between standardized language tests and classroom instruction.
· Minimum one year experience in academic program administration.
· A record of academic research and publication.
· Experience using current technologies for testing and instruction.
· Experience in working with international student population at the university level.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload all required application materials through this system: Cover letter and CV, and contact information (or Interfolio ID) for three professional references. The search committee may contact the applicant about soliciting letters of reference at a later point, after initial review of the files. Only electronic applications submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will be accepted.
Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by March 15, 2023. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date, although no hiring decision will be made until after that date. For questions regarding the application process, please contact email@example.com or 217-333-2137. Questions about the position may be directed to Xun Yan, Search Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois must comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing email@example.com.
Requisition ID: 1014266
Job Category: Faculty
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert