English As a New Language Specialist Job Description
Global Community Charter School (GCCS) is a Harlem-based International Baccalaureate (IB) World School that is innovative, inquiry-based, culturally competent, and provides students with a comprehensive and rigorous curriculum that encourages critical and creative thinking.
The English as a New Language Specialist provides instructional support to students identified as Limited English Proficient by the NYSITELL and NYSESLAT tests. The ENL Specialist ensures students acquire English language speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills through a variety of flexible models that prioritize push-in and pull-out services guided by the effective use of co-teaching practices. Lastly, the English as a New Language Specialist will use his or her expertise in language acquisition to collaborate with a caseload of teachers and provide on-site professional development.
Comprehensive Benefits Package
* Competitive Salary
* Option for 100% Employer paid; Medical, Dental, Vision FSA/HSA/PPO plans
* Dependent care FSA & Pre-tax commuter benefits
* 100 % Employer paid Term life and disability insurance
* Tuition reimbursement options
* Gym reimbursement
* PTO, Paid Parental Leave Child care leave, and other leave benefits
* TrustPlus Financial Coaching
* 403B Match and GCCS match
* Employee Assistance Program
* Health stipend if covered on a partner/spouse's plan
* Considering the needs of each child when designing lessons that help students develop the English language skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
* Evaluate academic achievement and progress towards learning objectives through detailed data analysis of student performance on a wide variety of metrics; Utilize student data collected to drive instruction and intervention
* Seeking out professional resources and attending professional development for serving the needs of English Language Learners to continuously improve their practice.
* Participating in the ELL Consortium at the NYC Charter Center.
* Providing students with frequent feedback and evaluation based on the development of individualized goals for performance that are specific, measurable, ambitious, rooted in data, and time-bound.
* Determining students' needs by researching students' ELL status on ATS, administering home language surveys, and conducting the NYSITELL and NYSESLAT assessments as needed.
* Maintaining accurate records of students' progress.
* Collaborating with the Reading Specialist and provide support to staff regarding strategies to support ENLs inclusively in the classroom.
* Working with the Special Education Coordinator to ensure appropriate accommodations are given to students during assessments as needed.
* Model, promote and embody the International Baccalaureate learner profile to create a cohesive school culture of academic and personal success
* Supporting the school as directed by the Chief Academic Officer and Assistant Chief Academic Officers
* A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is a must.
* A M.A., Ed.M or Master's degree in education preferred.
* New York State Certification for relevant grades or demonstrated process towards obtaining certification
* A minimum of 2 years of demonstrated success as a full-time middle school classroom teacher.
* Demonstrated success working in a high-performing, urban school setting preferred.
* Evidence of excellence in teaching through continuous learning and data analysis
* Be a team player - a desire to work in a team-oriented environment and collaborate effectively with colleagues
* Dedication to GCCS' mission
Salary Range $65K-$100K
Powered by JazzHR