Academic Preparation Instructor - $25/HR
- Campus Education
- New York City, New York
- Closing date
- Dec 8, 2022
- Job Role
- Teacher / Instructor
CAMPUS Education has addressed the needs of both the local and international communities - educating over ten thousand students. At CAMPUS, we offer superior English language education in a friendly and encouraging environment. We are committed to empowering students with the knowledge and skills required to succeed in today's fast-changing job market.
The CAMPUS Education Manhattan/Penn Station branch is currently looking for an experienced and qualified Academic Preparation Instructor. The candidate must be responsible and innovative in providing online and/or in-class instruction to a diverse group of students. The goal is to work with students to reach a high level of proficiency in English in a short amount of time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and develop intensive and accelerated college-like seminars that will prepare adult English Language Learners for college/university coursework in the United States.
- Compose instructor generated material that will advance the following skills: reading comprehension, academic vocabulary building and retention, college-level essay writing, oral presentation delivery, listening comprehension of college-level lectures, note-taking, and effective engagement in seminar-style discussions and Socratic circles.
- Supply learners with practical test-taking strategies.
- Deliver coursework drawn from a variety of university-level subject areas, including the humanities, life sciences, social and physical sciences, and business.
- Adhere to the policies set forth in the Faculty Handbook, including professional development requirements.
- Ensure accurate class start/end times.
- Inform ESL Coordinator of classroom and student management issues.
- Prepare effective lesson plans.
- Grade tests, essays, classroom presentations, and daily classroom assignments.
- Ensure effective application of curriculum/syllabi/materials.
- Complete daily rosters and keep track of student attendance.
- Organize relevant class field trips.
- Perform administrative tasks to ensure program functionality and success.
- Maintain accurate and timely records of student grades and class promotion.
- Keep organized records and maintain an orderly and secure filing system.
- Participate in conducting student surveys.
- Participate in curriculum development activities, as needed, including: accreditation and certification submissions, annual review, academic planning and review, needs analyses, surveys, etc.
- Participate in meetings and/or review of materials.
*Other tasks assigned by the ESL Coordinator and/or Academic Director.
- Master's degree, preferably related to international education, applied linguistics, English/English education, the Humanities, including a certificate in TESOL or related ESL teaching coursework.
- At least 1 year of teaching English as a Second Language to adults, TOEFL iBT instruction, secondary school or college-level instruction.
- Special consideration is given to prospective instructors with additional experience teaching post-secondary school Academic Preparation content to adult English language learners.
- Excellent command of the English language, written and oral, and effective interpersonal communication skills, including sensitivity and diplomacy in dealing with people from numerous countries and cultures.
- Possess excellent classroom management strategies.
- Professional demeanor.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert