Job DescriptionYour Job as our Theory Instructor
International TEFL Academy is looking for an experienced TEFL Instructor to teach our in-person Chicago TEFL Certification course. Our students are training to become English teachers overseas - for either short or long-term contracts.
This is a permanent part-time position. Each in-person course is a total of 4 weeks long, Monday through Friday, with a maximum of 12 TEFL trainees. After every 2 course sessions, there is one week with no classes. There are 11 course sessions scheduled annually. Roles and responsibilities are divided between the morning (theory) and afternoon (practicum) instructors.
We are looking for one instructor to teach the morning portion of the class, Monday through Friday from 9:00 - 1:30 p.m.
The morning instructor is primarily responsible for leading classes on the basic principles of teaching English as a Foreign Language (aka the "theory" instructor). The role requires the instructor to use the materials in our curriculum, including our textbook and major assessments, to train students on concepts from methods of TEFL, lesson planning, receptive/productive skills, and cultural awareness, among others. The Theory Instructor collaborates with the Practicum instructor to ensure trainees have the skills needed to excel as TEFL certified instructors. Compensation:
Approximately $2800 a course - dependent on schedule and enrollments (wage is $35/hr) Start Date:
February 6, 2023, for training - First course start date March 6, 2023Location:
916 West Diversey Parkway, Chicago. Our office is 1 block from the Diversey brown line stop; free street parking is available until 6 PM.Who Are We?
International TEFL Academy (ITA) is one of the world's largest TEFL training schools and has been in business since 2010. We have consistently been ranked as the best TEFL certification school for both online and in-person classes for the past 4 years in a row. In 2022, ITA won the prestigious GoAbroad People's Choice Award honoring the top international education organization as selected by study abroad professionals and students. This is the third time in four years that ITA has been honored with this award. ITA is on the Inc. 5000 list for top growth companies four years in a row from 2018 - 2021.
Read more about ITA's recognition and awards here.
We train & certify over 6,000 students a year to Teach English as a Foreign Language (TEFL). We believe top-level TEFL training builds a realistic pathway for our students to achieve their dreams and success as professional English language teachers. Our alumni teach at schools in 80+ countries abroad, teach online from the comfort of their homes, and live as global nomads teaching online from around the world.As the worldwide leader in the field of TEFL, we provide:
- Pre-enrollment information and personalized guidance from expert advisors,
- The Gold Standard in TEFL training and certification,
- Lifetime job search guidance - online and worldwide,
- Alumni community & peer engagement,
- Our staff with a safe, inclusive, supportive workplace/culture/job/career to grow and learn.
We are committed to changing people's lives by providing them an opportunity to see the world. We have all "been there and done that" and we've all experienced the rewards and challenges of leaving everything at home to live abroad. We are travelers at heart and are all committed to helping as many people as possible to pursue their dreams. We are goal-oriented with a light-hearted sense of humor.The Team You Will Join:
ITA has 35 full-time staff members and 32 part-time Instructors living around the US. We have a remote lifestyle with almost half of our full-time staff in the Chicago area. To learn more about our team and our company, read our VISION STATEMENT and MEET THE STAFF.
Theory Instructor Duties:
- Minimum master's degree in TESOL or related field
- 1 or more years of overseas teaching experience
- Experience teaching English in the United States
- Willingness to share overseas teaching experience with students
- Ability to use computer applications such as Moodle and Google Drive
The mission of this role is to plan for and execute quality instruction to trainees that guides their development as TEFL instructors. You will educate through example using a variety of pedagogical methods in the classroom, assessment techniques, and mentoring. The duties include:
- Deliver quality instruction on the basic principles of teaching English as a Foreign Language that is based on our curriculum and supporting text.
- Provide constructive and timely feedback on trainees' assignments and lesson plans.
- Share outside resources with trainees that you routinely have used in your instructional career to aid students in their learning and assessment submissions.
- Observe practicum teaching (peer and ESL students) and provide feedback to trainees on their lesson plans and their execution of them.
- Collaborate with the Practicum instructor to define areas of growth for trainees as well as support the activities planned in the afternoon sessions.
You must apply for this position through the International TEFL Academy website using the link below. Your application will require:
- Resume (Word or pdf) - please include your name in the title of the digital document.
- Cover letter addressing:
- Why do you want to work at ITA?
- Why are you interested in the theory instructor position?
- Countries lived, worked, studied, and traveled.
- Tell us any experiences you have helping prepare students to become successful teachers.
- Best phone number and time to reach you for a call.
- Please tell us which job site you found us on or if a friend referred you.
Note 1: Our recruiting platform prompts you to "upload your resume" but does not state that you must upload a "cover letter." That is a limitation of the platform. We will not reply to any candidate without a cover letter. Convince us to interview you.
Note 2: We do not accept phone calls about employment. A phone call may weaken your application. We understand your initiative, but we receive many applications for this position and it is a significant process to evaluate each candidate.Then What Happens?
Once your resume is submitted, we will reach out to you in all the steps of the process, so please, check your email and voicemail with frequency. If you are not selected in this process, don't worry, we will keep your resume on file for other potential future positions that could be a good match.
Here at International TEFL Academy, as global citizens, we recognize that diversity, equity, and inclusion are vital to the culture of our organization. International TEFL Academy is an equal-opportunity workplace.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.