This contract role will be conducted in-person at Forest Hill Church - Eastland, 5249 Central Avenue, Charlotte 28212. The current opening is for classes on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 7-9 pm. Classes will begin in January 2023.
ESL Teacher: responsible for the acculturation of students and teaching of the adult English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.
The teacher will also be responsible for the development and implementation of all classroom activities, testing and registration of the students, following the guidelines agreed upon by the teacher and the ESL Program Director. The ESL teacher is responsible for enriching the adult student's social, physical, emotional, intellectual, and mental development in the ESL program.
- Teach, develop the curriculum (where required), and prepare lesson plans for the ESL classes.
- Be responsible for the supervision, safety, and well-being of the ESL program participants.
- Carry out the daily lesson plans, following the guidelines agreed upon by the teacher and ESL Program Director, and communicating concerns to the Director as needed.
- Actively participate in the acculturation and advocacy of students.
- Take daily attendance of ESL students, and notify Director of any absences.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings.
- Uphold facility maintenance and cleanliness standards.
- Work with volunteers, clearly communicate needs, to utilize in program (where required).
- Ensure proper set up and break down of assigned rooms on a daily basis and maintaining a neat and clean appearance of room including equipment and supplies.
- Present quality image through staff attire and interaction with other employees and volunteers.
- 2-year college degree; Bachelor's degree, preferred.
- Fluent in English.
- Bilingual in Spanish, preferred.
- Must be able to communicate well with students and volunteers, participate as a team player, and exercise strong leadership skills.
- Prior experience in teaching, preferably in ESL or English
- Knowledge in theories of language acquisition.
- General knowledge of FHC programs, philosophies, and objectives.
- Ability to represent Forest Hill Church in a mature and professional manner.
- Understand and uphold Christian ethics and their relationship to the church
- Must be sensitive to the feelings and needs of others.
- Must be able to relate well with students and ALWAYS promote and environment conducive to learning.
- Ability to move about the classroom
- Sitting and/or standing
- Ability to move up to 15 pounds
Implementing all of the above activities should produce a quality ESL Program that:
- Promotes the positive growth and acculturation of the students
- Nurtures students by meeting individual needs
- Retains participants in the ESL program
- Creates an increase in the numerical scores achieved from the use of evaluation forms and tests.
- Fosters community and church relations