Branch: Education and Training
Position Title: Remote or hybrid ESOL Instructors: Beginner - High Intermediate levels available, YMCA International Learning Center (ILC) Woburn
Position Type: 15 hours/week
ESOL Instructor position: DESE Level 1 (Beginner)
5:45-8:45pm, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays September 2022-June 2023
15 hours of paid teacher time per week: 9 hours teaching, 6 hours lesson planning and prep
Teaching remotely/hybrid using Zoom and Google Classroom
Paid bi-monthly staff meetings
Paid professional development
Come and make a difference in people's lives! The YMCA ILC Woburn has been helping immigrants learn English and develop employment skills to improve their lives for over 24 years. We need a dynamic evening teacher to support new immigrants to this country. Our Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) funded program is a highly rated adult ESOL program which offers both morning and evening English classes to a diverse group of adult English language learners.
Description of Position:
- Teach ESOL to adults of diverse linguistic, cultural, religious, socio-economic and educational backgrounds
- Survey and incorporate adult learner goals into coursework for a student-centered and goal oriented ESOL class
- Develop lesson plans and deliver engaging and contextualized lessons which integrate academic and employment skills utilizing the Massachusetts English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS)
- Provide a safe and inclusive classroom environment that fosters students' language production.
- Select and adapt materials, educational apps, and web resources for Google Classroom and Zoom.
- Present clear objectives and agendas to students for each class.
- Incorporate digital literacy skills into class content and coursework.
- Collaborate with Career Advisor to ensure that all students are progressing with their personal, education, and career goals.
- Conduct formative and summative assessments regularly to evaluate students' progress
- Work collaboratively with peers on curriculum review, common planning and program improvement
- Communicate classroom/student issues to Program Director in a timely manner
Description of Administration:
- Keep accurate and timely attendance records
- Provide progress reports to students twice a year.
- Attending bi-weekly staff meetings
- Document weekly lesson plans in Google drive.
- Bachelor's Degree required; Education background preferred
- TESOL, TEFL, TESL certificate preferred
- Eligible to live and work in the US
- Sensitive to socio-economic and ethnic minority issues
- Strong communication skills, inter-personal skills, and classroom management skills
- Able to participate in paid Professional Development
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and Zoom
- Comfortable learning and using web-based file storage i.e., Google Docs, SharePoint, etc.
- Eager to contribute to a collaborative working environment
- Bilingual a plus
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, and hear
- The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds
- Specific vision abilities of this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.