Job DescriptionCompany Description
KIPP, the Knowledge Is Power Program, is a national network of free, open enrollment, college preparatory public schools dedicated to preparing students in underserved communities for success in college and life. There are 285 KIPP schools across the nation and the District of Columbia, serving more than 175,000 students and alumni with more than 15,000 educators.
Founded in 2008 with 50 students in 5th grade, KIPP Columbus currently educates 2,000 students in grades Kindergarten through twelfth. With a mission to, together with families and the community, create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -- college, career, and beyond -- KIPP has maintained excellence in its growth, and will improve upon that standard - proving what is possible in public education.
KIPP Columbus continues to rank as one of the top schools for academic growth of any school in the state of Ohio, and is a top performing urban school in the state for academic growth. In our first three graduating classes (in spring 2020, 2021, and 2022) 100% of students were accepted to college and/or military service with nearly $40 million in merit scholarships from colleges and universities awarded.
In addition to academic excellence, KIPP Columbus also partners with nearly 100 community organizations to provide extracurricular activities, programming, health and wellness services, meals, and more to KIPP students, families, and the broader community. KIPP is also a member of the Ohio High School Athletic Association, offering more than 10 varsity sports.
The KIPP Columbus learning campus will continue to advance student learning, expand partnerships, enable superior programming, and serve as a teaching and leadership lab for schools nationwide, reimagining education through a deeper lens of antiracism, excellence, and joy as we expand to educate nearly 4,000 students on our learning campus in the coming years.
Interested in learning more about our school? Please check out our website: https://www.kippcolumbus.org/
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan, organize, and provide instruction in English that meet state and federal standards
- Recognize individual student learning needs and adapt materials and assignments to facilitate learning.
- Provide instruction that is consistent and coordinated with the district's/school's instructional program so as to ensure that students meet and exceed learning targets
- Develop and deliver lesson plans that utilize a broad range of appropriate teaching techniques and strategies
- Address all aspects of communication through appropriate instruction that develops each student's ability to read, write, speak, and listen in the appropriate content area
- Administer academic and language assessments for the purpose of evaluating student progress for meeting academic learning targets and progress in language acquisition
- Maintain complete and accurate records of student progress and evidence of growth and progress
- Provide a nurturing and supportive learning environment that encourages student responsibility and incorporates challenging instructional strategies
- Adapt curriculum to provide individual, small group, and/or remedial instruction to meet the needs of individual students and subgroups of students
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior required to run an orderly and productive classroom environment
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques and strategies to meet different aptitudes and interests of students
- Manage allotted learning time to maximize student achievement
- Oversee assigned out-of-classroom activities during the school day, as needed
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Current Ohio TESOL license, endorsement or willingness and ability to pursue certification by start date.
- Minimum of one year of successful, full-time, lead teaching experience
- Belief that outstanding school leaders, staff, and teachers can achieve excellent outcomes for all students.
- Ability to persevere with a sense of optimism, strong problem solving skills, and desire to learn and grow in a collaborative professional learning community.
- Willingness, and commitment, to go above and beyond to prove the possible with students.
- Ability to multi-task and work within an ambiguous, fast-moving, start-up environment, while driving toward clarity and solutions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Extreme flexibility, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate high levels of responsibility and multiple priorities.
- Model the values of KIPP Columbus (Imagine, Navigate, Seek, Persevere, Integrity, Responsibility, and Empathy).
Compensation and Benefits
KIPP Columbus offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit plan including medical and dental insurance, as well as group term life insurance, retirement plan and paid time off.
Statement of Non-Disclosure
KIPP Columbus is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals applying to the school for consideration of any position (admission, employment, etc.). KIPP Columbus does not discriminate on the basis of disability, gender, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic that is contained in the definition of hate crimes set forth in Section 4112.02 of the Ohio Revised Code.