Riis Settlement seeks an experienced, creative, hard-working and dynamic ESOL instructor to work 9 hours per week in the evenings (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 6:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m.) at our program site at I.S. 126 in Astoria, Queens. The ESOL Instructor will work within the Immigrant Services Program to provide limited English proficient adults with contextualized instruction that gives students the English language skills to effectively participate in the communities in which they live. Successful candidates will have experience creating student-centered learning environments, using a communicative approach, and incorporating technology, civic engagement, and job readiness in the classroom. The instructor fosters a classroom environment that offers participants the resources, opportunities and support needed to help them grow and achieve self-sufficiency.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Provide contextualized, content-based English language instruction at beginning, intermediate and/or advanced levels. Provide authentic language tasks, interactive activities, and opportunities to practice speaking and writing for fluency.
- Design and implement engaging lesson plans that incorporate best practices in TESOL and assist students in meeting the curriculum standards for appropriate level, through a variety of instructional methods adapted to diverse learning styles.
- Incorporate technology and digital literacy instruction into ESOL classroom instruction.
- Design and administer student assessment tools that gauge student learning and monitor achievement of performance outcomes.
- Create a welcoming environment that fosters community and learning among program participants.
- Submit course outlines for each class cycle to address topics and materials to be covered in class.
- Submit monthly student progress assessments for contract reporting.
- Attend monthly program meetings and staff development activities.
- Assist with student registration and pre- and post-testing as needed (training will be provided if not certified to administer BEST Plus).
- Assist with other contract reporting requirements as needed.
Statement of Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Bachelors Degree and 2+ years relevant teaching experience (Masters in TESOL and/or Education preferred)
- Ability to modify/adapt existing lesson plans and curricula to fit program needs, and/or create original lesson plans
- Thorough, detailed knowledge and understanding of English grammar with the ability to clearly explain all verbs, tenses and parts of speech.
- Ability to interact with diverse ethnic populations and empathize with people unfamiliar with local culture.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with team.
- Advanced computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft XP.
- Ethical and professional conduct that facilitates the building of a respectful, trusting and collaborative relationship with program staff and students.