The ESL School at NYFA (ESN) was founded to serve the needs of adults whose first language is not English. ESN provides high-quality language instruction in a supportive atmosphere to help international students improve their English language abilities, focusing on academic purposes, and also taking into consideration
students' career advancement, as well as everyday social and practical purposes.
To this end, we are committed to:
- Hiring and retaining qualified ESL teaching professionals
- Setting high standards of achievement for students and instructors
- Providing intensive and rigorous training in English Grammar and Writing, Reading and Vocabulary, Listening and Speaking to all, particularly to those who aim to master academic English and continue their education in community colleges and degree-granting colleges
- Using a wide variety of up-to-date teaching techniques and technology to match the different learning styles of our diverse student population
- Providing a comfortable yet challenging environment conducive to learning and socializing as well as promoting and encouraging cross-cultural understanding
- Offering counseling on many student concerns, whether academic or personal
- Constantly improving our program to meet our students' needs and to be up to speed with as well as innovate better materials and tools for learning
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The following responsibilities are general duties that a particular employee in this position may or may not be required to perform. The day-to-day
duties required of this position may vary.
- Deliver instruction in accordance with the student learning outcomes set for the course (Beginner to Pre-College level for Grammar & Writing; Reading & Vocabulary; Listening & Speaking), including practical skills, methods, theories, and techniques
- Manage course syllabus and daily lesson plans
- Assess student work
- Attend faculty meetings
- Respond to correspondence with faculty, staff, and students
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of the subject area of discipline that they teach
- Substantial professional experience in teaching ESL or any related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be collaborative and willing to work with fellow instructors on any required work, such as
- curriculum development and planning
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree with a certificate in TESOL and substantial teaching experience
- Bachelor's degree in TESOL preferred
- Master's degree or higher required to teach the Pre-College level
- Cross-cultural experience desirable
REPRESENTATIVE MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT AND/OR SOFTWARE USED:
The following machines, tools, equipment and/or software are commonly, but not always, associated with the performance of this position. Actual machines, tools, equipment and/or software used will vary.
- Office equipment including, but not limited to, computer, TV/Video connections, video camera, and copier.
- Microsoft Office, Mac platform, Zoom, Google Apps (Drive, Classroom, Docs)
ENVIRONMENTAL / ATMOSPHERIC WORKING CONDITIONS:
The following environmental/atmospheric working conditions are commonly, but not always, associated with the performance of this position. The actual working conditions will vary.