Job description and summary:
English and Exams is a dynamic and global community within the British Council, the UK’s international organization for cultural relations. Be part of a unique global teaching team striving to help English language learners achieve their linguistic, study, work, and life goals.
Our teaching centres and online courses build cultural links between the UK and 38 countries around the world, as well as supporting the cultural relations programmes in arts and sciences delivered by the British Council.
- To maintain and enhance professional development and academic quality in the teaching center, through the management of in-house teacher development programme and support
- To promote and ensure quality teaching and effective learning of English
- To provide learners with a rewarding and stimulating English language learning experience
- To support the wider aims of British Council and its cultural relations mission
- Plan, prepare and deliver high-quality English language teaching that meets the needs of different customer groups, taking into account individual learning styles.
- Monitor progress and regularly provide feedback to help manage students’ performance throughout the course, while actively promoting learner autonomy.
- Contribute to the development, evaluation, and improvement of English language courses, materials and related services, in order to meet students’ needs by actively working as a member of the teaching team.
- Complete teaching related administrative tasks to specified standards.
- Actively engage in professional development and performance management to ensure quality and high standards in teaching and learning and maintain the British Council’s position at the forefront of best ELT practice.
- Undergraduate degree (BA or equivalent / higher)
- Cambridge CELTA, Trinity CertTESOL or equivalent recognised entry-level qualification to teach English as a Foreign/Second Language
- For Vietnamese nationals only: A BA or equivalent/ higher in ESL or related field
- CELT-YL extension/TYLEC
- PGCE in Primary/Secondary or equivalent
- Recognised diploma in EFL i.e. Cambridge DELTA/Trinity DipTESOL
- At least 1-year post-qualification experience (600 hours) covering at least two of the following age-groups:
- Young learners aged 6-10
- Young learners aged 11-13
- Young learners aged 14-17
- Experience of IELTS or Cambridge Exams Preparation
- Experience in teaching Adults (500+ hours)
- At least 600 hours’ experience in teaching two or more young learners age groups
- Contract Duration: 24 Months
- Renewable Period- Renewable
- Contract Teaching Hours- 20 Hours Contract
- Work schedule (as per operational needs): Teaching schedules typically involve both evening work and working on Saturdays and Sundays – the times at which most teaching activity takes place. Teachers may be required to work in one or more centres in the city they are based in, but scheduling policy is to restrict teaching to one location only on any given day.
- Proof of Identity requirements/right to work in country: Applicants must be potentially eligible to work in Vietnam and must hold a passport which has at least two blank pages and at least 6 months’ remaining validity.
Annual Leave/Holidays -
35 working days per annum plus Vietnamese public holidays (currently 11 days per year) and public holidays.
Medical Allowances -
International cover by Allianz medical insurance scheme for teaching staff and their eligible dependents. This is comprehensive medical insurance which covers outpatient medical treatment, vaccinations, hospital treatment for illnesses and accidents, consultancy fees, maternity, essential operations, and repatriation. It excludes dental and optical costs, and there is an annual deductible of GBP150.
Settling-in allowance (if recruited from outside Vietnam) -
Unaccompanied teacher allowances: 2 weeks' salary + up to 2 weeks’ hotel accommodation.
Accompanied teacher allowances: 3 weeks' salary + up to 2 weeks' hotel accommodation.
Fares and travel Allowance (if you are recruited from outside Vietnam) -
Economy class air fare(s) are paid for the member of staff and their accompanying dependents to Vietnam. Dependents are defined as a spouse or civil partner or a person with whom the employee declares to be in a stable and continuous relationship, or a dependent unmarried child aged under 18.