Duke Kunshan University (DKU) invites applications for an Assistant or Associate Professor in language and intercultural communication at the Language and Culture Center (LCC). The Language and Culture Center is responsible for offering language courses for undergraduate and graduate DKU programs, including courses in English for academic purposes, Chinese as a second language, written and oral communication, and additional languages. The LCC supports intercultural communication among students and faculty at DKU, helping facilitate the achievement of key institution-wide goals that include the development of students who can communicate lucidly and navigate successfully diverse cultures and languages. The position begins July 1, 2023. This is a tenure-track position.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Teach courses in intercultural communication.
- Teach language courses relevant to the candidate’s qualifications and experience (e.g. EAP, Chinese, other languages).
- Terminal degree/Ph.D. in a relevant field: e.g. language teaching/applied linguistics, intercultural communication, linguistics, education.
- Significant university-level teaching experience, especially in language teaching/applied linguistics, intercultural communication, linguistics.
- Solid record of scholarship.
- Strong command of English.
- Already attained assistant or associate professor rank.
- Skills in Chinese and/or other languages.
- Able to teach courses in other relevant areas such as general linguistics, applied linguistics, sociolinguistics.
- University-level working experience in East Asia.
Applicants should provide a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and a teaching/research statement, and should arrange to have three letters of reference submitted. All materials should be submitted through Academic Jobs Online: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/22569. Questions about the position may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org using “Assistant/Associate Professor of ICC and Language for LCC” as the subject line. Priority will be given to applications received by November 1, 2022; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
DKU is a collaborative partnership of Duke University, Wuhan University and the Municipality of Kunshan, China (https://dukekunshan.edu.cn/). Our campus provides an innovative and robustly interdisciplinary undergraduate liberal arts experience to a student body that will number 2000 students and 150+ faculty, with an acceptance rate of <8% and a student body represented by over 60 countries. We also offer a number of Master’s level graduate programs. The DKU pedagogical model draws on the best of Duke’s educational experience and resources to reimagine undergraduate instruction in an intimate campus setting.
The DKU campus is 37 miles west of Shanghai in Kunshan, and is connected to Shanghai via an 18-minute high-speed train and a subway-light rail train system. DKU provides internationally competitive compensation, housing allowance, child education benefits (for applicable faculty positions), and a discretionary fund or start-up package.