Duke Kunshan University (DKU) invites applications for the Associate Director of the Language and Culture Center (LCC). The Language and Culture Center is responsible for offering language courses for undergraduate and graduate DKU programs, including courses in English for academic purposes, Chinese as a second language, written and oral communication, and additional languages. The LCC supports intercultural communication among students and faculty at DKU, helping facilitate the achievement of key institution-wide goals that include the development of students who can communicate lucidly and navigate successfully diverse cultures and languages. The Associate Director of the LCC will assist the LCC Director in managing the LCC faculty team and the courses offered by the LCC, and also teach in the LCC. The position begins July 1, 2023. This is a tenure-track position.
Responsibilities and Duties: The duties of the Associate Director will include the following:
- Teach 1.5 courses per semester within the LCC. This teaching assignment will normally consist of teaching one 4-credit or two 2-credit courses per semester, in areas of the candidate’s expertise, and one .5 coaching assignment in the Writing and Language Studio.
- Assist the LCC Director with LCC administrative duties, such as the following:
- Reviewing and improving curriculum and courses.
- Helping plan course offerings, new courses, and teaching assignments.
- Assisting with LCC faculty and staff searches.
- Serving on reappointment and tenure review committees.
- Reviewing annual faculty reports.
- Reviewing course evaluations.
- Mentoring LCC faculty in their teaching and scholarship.
- Planning and delivering faculty orientation and planning workshops.
- Planning and managing the LCC budget and approving expenditures.
- Establishing new programs (e.g. summer programs, community-facing programs).
- Terminal degree/Ph.D. in a field related to language education.
- Significant university-level teaching experience, especially in languages or related fields.
- Administrative experience in higher education.
- Solid record of scholarship.
- Strong command of English.
- Administrative experience in language teaching programs.
- Already attained associate or full professor academic rank.
- University working experience in East Asia.
- Strong command of Chinese and/or other languages.
Applicants should provide a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and a teaching/research statement, and should arrange to have three letters of reference submitted. All materials should be submitted through Academic Jobs Online: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/22568. Questions about the position may be sent to email@example.com using “Associate Director for LCC” as the subject line. Priority will be given to applications received by November 1, 2022; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
DKU is a collaborative partnership of Duke University, Wuhan University and the Municipality of Kunshan, China (https://dukekunshan.edu.cn/). Our campus provides an innovative and robustly interdisciplinary undergraduate liberal arts experience to a student body that will number 2000 students and 150+ faculty, with an acceptance rate of <8% and a student body represented by over 60 countries. We also offer a number of Master’s level graduate programs. The DKU pedagogical model draws on the best of Duke’s educational experience and resources to reimagine undergraduate instruction in an intimate campus setting.
The DKU campus is 37 miles west of Shanghai in Kunshan, and is connected to Shanghai via an 18-minute high-speed train and a subway-light rail train system. DKU provides internationally competitive compensation, housing allowance, child education benefits (for applicable faculty positions), and a discretionary fund or start-up package.