Academic Manager - Kaplan International - Los Angeles WestwoodJob Description
The Academic Manager is a key senior member of the school staff and oversees all academic duties and processes in the school. He/she is responsible for the quality of the academic program as well as counseling students on academic issues, hiring and supervising instructors and fulfilling essential administrative duties. The Academic Manager will uphold the KI curriculum and KI policies/standards. He/she will ensure that company goals are met, and use good judgment and common sense in all decisions.Key job responsibilities include, but are not limited to
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Open/close classes and assign instructors to these classes while working within the established KI curriculum and budgetary goals.
- Assign substitutes for instructors in the event they cannot teach due to illness, vacation, or emergencies.
- Hire, orient, train, supervise, and observe all instructors.
- Support instructors by giving them the information, tools, and guidance they need to be successful in the classroom.
- Regularly observe instructors to provide feedback and ensure adherence to the program curriculum and standards.
- Conduct regularly scheduled instructor meetings and participate in staff meetings as assigned by the School Director.
- Work with other school staff to provide excellent customer service and maximize student satisfaction.
- Stay informed of new developments in the ESL field and communicate to school staff.
- Provide counseling for students on academic matters to ensure both student satisfaction and academic progress.
- Advise prospective, new, and continuing students on courses, classes, and services.
- Complete administrative tasks on time as assigned by the School Director or other national staff.
- Monitor academic record keeping; maintain the academic portion of student files according to company policies and regulatory standards.
- Oversee the academic budget for the school by maintaining class size averages, ordering materials, and checking and approving instructor payroll with adherence to established HR standards.
- Handle and mediate disputes/problems between students and teachers, between teachers and teachers, and between students and students.
- Collaborate and effectively participate in marketing initiatives and events as needed.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities such as dedication, respect, cooperation, motivation, innovation, commitment to quality, excellence, and superior customer service to students, staff and management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent)
- TESOL, CELTA, or TEFL certificate (including practicum) OR 2-4 years of ESL or EFL teaching experience
- 1+ years in an administrative or management role
- Thorough knowledge of educational practices, especially in the field of ESL/ EFL
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Master's degree in TESOL or DELTA certification
- Prior experience with industry and/ or international students
- Teacher training experience
- One or more foreign language ability a plus
Los Angeles, CA, USAEmployee Type
EmployeeJob Functional Area
Kaplan lnternational is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. If you require any adjustments or additional support within the recruitment process, please contact us directly. All positions with Kaplan are paid at least $15 per hour or $31,200 per year for full-time positions. Compensation for specific positions are based on job level, skills, years of experience, and education, among other factors. Additionally, certain positions are bonus or commission eligible.Kaplan International Languages requires
that all new hires have proof of COVID -19 vaccination as a condition of employment. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons are available on case by case basis.