Purdue University Northwest (PNW) is an academically comprehensive, student-centered university located in northwest Indiana, just southeast of Chicago. Through high quality and engaging undergraduate and graduate education programs, PNW offers a vibrant academic community for its approximately 7,000 students. As an independent university within the Purdue University, PNW boasts 70 academic areas of study at the bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels. PNW's colleges, schools and centers are nationally recognized and accredited. The university is widely respected for faculty dedication to student success, experiential learning, and collaborative research across two culturally diverse campuses. Faculty & Lecturers are expected to instruct at both campuses.College Profile
The College of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences serves over 1,500 undergraduate students and 250 graduate students across a wide range of programs. The College also houses the Community Counseling Center that provides quality affordable mental health services and the Institute for Social and Policy Research.Job Summary
A limited term lecturer's primary responsibilities include promoting student progress, and creating and fostering a safe, positive classroom environment.The Limited Term Lecturer will have the following teaching responsibilities:
- offer and enact courses at different ability/skill levels;
- teach assigned courses in the scheduled format (i.e., in-person or virtually) and times (day and/or evening offerings);
- use digital and technological tools to support learners in developing their understandings for teaching and learning;
- evaluate and provide constructive feedback to learners enrolled in courses;
- hold office hours in alignment with policies in the PNW College of Humanities, Education, and Social Sciences;
- communicate with ESL Director and/or their designee to submit grades, attendance and course information in a timely manner and
- Act as a PNW representative at all times. This includes but is not limited to: being a proponent of PNW and acting in a professional manner in all interactions.
Strong interpersonal, presentation, and written and verbal communication skills; cultural sensitivity and ability to work with students from different cultural backgrounds (previous experience overseas is desirable); demonstrated ability to work with different proficiency levels, ranging from intermediate to advanced and teach all skills as needed; prepare and deliver lectures, tutorials, workshops and seminars, nine hours per week, in addition to office hours; setting and grading assignments, tests, and exams; be highly organized, with excellent communication skills; able to work independently, as well as collaboratively; assist with program-related duties and administrative tasks, including placement, orientation, proctoring, student evaluations, curriculum, and program review; understand and adhere to university policies and guidelines; able to maintain accurate and detailed records; able to use electronic documents and technology to process evaluations and appropriate communications; competency in effective and appropriate online (synchronous and asynchronous) delivery and in-person instruction; Education
Master's degree in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or a closely related fieldExperience
Previous teaching experience in a university-based Intensive English ProgramAdditional Information
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. To apply, applicants should submit the following:
1) a cover letter specifically addressing required experience; 2) a curriculum vitae; 3) list of three professional references.
A background check will be required for employment in this position. Employment would begin on January 3,2022 and continue on an annual basis.
Purdue University Northwest is committed to advancing diversity in all areas of faculty effort, including scholarship, instruction, and engagement. Candidates should address at least one of these areas in their cover letter, indicating their experiences, current interests or activities, and/or future goals to promote a climate that values diversity and inclusion.
Purdue University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. All individuals, including minorities, woman, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.FLSA Status