This newly created position develops and executes a vision for next-generation growth and innovation of TESOL’s education and events portfolio, securing the association’s role as the trusted global authority for knowledge and expertise in English language teaching. The HEE plays a vital role in expanding the association’s funding sources and optimizing product development. The HEE serves as a member of the executive team and provides overall leadership and management of a portfolio of high-quality, multi-modal offerings in an omni-channel approach to serve the needs of TESOL members.
TESOL offers a collaborative and collegial working environment. The successful candidate will enjoy working across the organization with colleagues and volunteer leaders. TESOL provides equal opportunity for all staff. In keeping with its DEI policy, TESOL values and seeks diverse, equitable, and inclusive participation in its workforce.
- Anticipate and monitor global trends in the ESL/EFL profession in collaboration with internal and external content experts.
- Lead collaboration across the association to ensure the successful development and execution of TESOL’s professional development portfolio (books, courses, conferences, publications, etc.).
- Create and pursue new business development opportunities and drive revenue growth, ensuring attainment of TESOL’s $5M annual revenue.
- Develop innovative and sustainable strategic relationships with key stakeholders, including affiliates, authors, grantors, publishers, sponsors, third-party partners, and volunteer leaders.
- Champion inclusive and equitable learning experiences and support cross-programmatic strategies for member education, engagement, and empowerment.
- Prioritize programs and projects that align with the association’s strategic goals, meet members’ needs, and are relevant and effective.
- Strategically direct the planning and execution of the association’s national and international events, including contract negotiation, logistics, sponsorship, and vendor relations.
- Review and expand TESOL’s publications and publishing program, including books, blogs, a monthly e-magazine, and 2 academic journals.
- Create and monitor the departmental budget in conjunction with direct reports.
- Develop and empower staff and volunteers to contribute their best work.
- Carry out other duties as assigned.
Requirements of the Position
- Minimum of 8-10 years of professional experience, including education program management, hybrid meetings management, and publications management
- MBA or Master’s degree in TESOL preferred
- CAE and/or CMP designations highly preferred
We are searching for a leader who:
- Is self-aware, reflective, considerate, and open to new ideas
- Learns quickly, thinks on their feet, and is intellectually curious
- Contributes meaningful discussions while encouraging others to participate
- Thrives in ambiguity, enjoys navigating different opinions and perspectives
Required to travel: Yes. Occasional travel to TESOL’s annual convention and other events