KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy
, and help us rise together
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.Job DescriptionOverview
Every member of the Team & Family at KIPP Texas Public Schools plays a critical role in ensuring our students have the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose - college, career and beyond. The ESL Paraprofessional role will help support the academic and linguistic needs of emergent bilingual/ESL students during content-based and ESL pull-out instruction. The ESL Paraprofessional will also have the opportunity to play a significant role connecting with families and facilitating effective learning experiences through collaboration with content-area teachers.Duties and Essential Job Functions:
QualificationsKnowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Work with students in instructional and classroom activities at the direction of the ESL Program Manager and in partnership with the campus ESL coordinator
- Assist with direct academic and language designed instructional activities during content-based or ESL pull-out instruction
- Providing home language tutorial assistance to individual students and help them prepare assignments in their second language
- Functioning as a liaison between classroom teacher and student.
- Communicate regularly with classroom teacher and parents regarding student's needs and progress
- Assisting in communication between school and parents.
- Participating in professional development activities.
- Assisting with classroom, district, and state-wide ESL assessments.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Experience working with students or adults learning a second language
- Knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing reading, writing, and mathematics
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (bilingual in Spanish preferred)
Preferred Education and/or Experience:
- Highly Qualified paraprofessionals must have a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent and meet one of the following requirements:
- Complete at least two years of study at an institution of higher education (defined as completion of 48 semester hours or equivalent trimester hours) of college coursework or an applicable number of semester hours as defined by the institution of higher education attended, whichever is less;
- Possess an associate's (or higher) degree; or
- Meet a rigorous standard of quality and can demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment-
- The paraprofessional must also meet the state's paraprofessional certification exam and requirements. Paraprofessionals whose duties consist solely of parent and family engagement activities or translation services are exempt from the qualification requirement.
- Previous experience with teaching a second language.
- College training in second language teaching.
Austin, TX Compensation and Benefits:
As a full time KIPP Texas employee you are eligible to participate in all KIPP Texas' benefit plans. KIPP Texas offers a robust variety of benefits choices, including medical, dental, and vision options, as well as life insurance, fertility, and disability plans starting as low as $25/month.
KIPP provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability Funding:
The ESL Paraprofessional will be funded directly from the Elementary and Secondary Schools Emergency Relief (ESSER) grants awarded by the Texas Education Agency under the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 (ESSER II) and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ESSER III). This position will be funded solely (100%) from the ESSER II and III allocation for direct expenses through September 30, 2023, and may continue to be funded through September 30, 2024, depending upon the availability of ESSER grant funds. At the end of the grant period this position may be eliminated unless other sources of funds are secured to maintain this position or a similar position. The employee must sign this job description acknowledging receipt of the job description and signing their acknowledgement that this position is grant funded and is temporarily aligning with the terms of the grant period.