International Student Services Coordinator
Founded in 1981, WESLI (Wisconsin ESL Institute) has earned an excellent reputation in the Madison community, among Midwestern universities and colleges, and with our international partners for equipping international students with the skills needed to succeed in competitive academic and professional environments and for providing a wonderful cross-cultural experience for our students. Today, WESLI offers over 30 courses across seven levels, an online English program, English for the workplace, and a TEFL certification program.
WESLI has a long history of a family-like atmosphere, as teachers and staff care about students personally while they assist them academically. Most staff members have lived abroad, speak one or more foreign languages, have years of experience teaching English, and have been at WESLI for more than 10 years. WESLI is a collaborative workplace with a team approach, which allows employees to grow in skills and responsibilities according to employees' performance and interests and WESLI's needs.
WESLI prepares international students to be collaborative leaders in their chosen academic and professional environments
Under the supervision of the Student Services Director, the Student Services Coordinator will manage WESLI's housing and arrivals for new and current students and provide advising and advocacy for international students studying abroad in Madison, Wisconsin.
50% - Housing
- Develop a system to maintain the dorm at full capacity during the year.
- Lead and Collaborate with Staff how to market the dorm.
- Coordinate new arrivals (with student or agent)
- Obtain arrival details from all incoming students & log in database
- Arrange housing placement in Dorm or Homestay
- Coordinate pickup arrangements with host family and dorm pickups
- Send confirmation with pickup/housing/registration details & instructions
- Answer calls from "Housing/Pickup Emergency" phone line (after hours)
- Prepare welcome packet
Housing Request Administration
- Assist current students with Dorm room or Homestay requests
- Send/Receive prospective Homestay Applications
- New Homestay Host visits/interviews/background check
- Manage/Maintain housing database
- Manage available Homestay and Dorm List in Google Drive
- Send Housing and Dorm Evaluation Questionnaires to students and host families
- Update Homestay & Dorm Guidelines/Information as needed
- Mediate issues/dramas that arise in homestays or among dorm roommates
- Send payments to homestays every month
- Coordinate bi-weekly dorm check ups
- Report weekly housing cash flow to directors
50% - Student Services
Student Advising & Student Success Management
- Lead and collaborate with other assigned Admin staff to create, plan, promote, and manage: Orientation every session and Students graduation every session
- Send out Class Announcements, coordinating with activities, clubs, and other opportunities
- Complete other administrative duties as assigned. i.e., Admission/Front Desk, special projects.
- Collaborate with other Admin staff on registration/test/placement for new and continuing students
- Assist students with issues that come up in daily life, such as finding a doctor, understanding insurance reports, getting involved with local activities, giving advice about local travel, or any other question that may arise.
- Assist new and continuing students with choosing classes
- Manage Volunteer & Conversation Partner Programs
- Create and submit Progress Reports for students as necessary
- Coordinate with teachers to track students and ensure success in and out of the classroom
- Track student progress with online grading database and create study plans for those who are struggling
- Advocate for student success in WESLI and community activities and opportunities
- Manage Overseas Conditional Admissions (OCA) process for prospective and current students
- Collaborate with Director to maintain a library of current catalogues and application forms from universities WESLI works with (and others).
- Bachelor's degree (or significant office work experience)
- 2+ years professional work experience, preferable in student service, international studies or similar
- High attention to detail and organization
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as the ability to work collaboratively
- Student-centered and customer service-oriented attitude towards problem solving
- Ability to resolve conflicts in a timely and efficient manner
- Familiarity with international students a plus, but not a requirement
This is a full-time (40 hr/wk) position, Monday through Friday, with working hours between 8am and 5pm based at WESLI in Madison, Wisconsin to provide in-person student services.
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with the candidate's education and demonstrated experience. Expected starting pay around $40,000 annually.
WESLI offers full medical, eye and dental insurance benefits, enrollment in 401K, long term disability, compassionate leave, paid vacation, and Madison Metro transportation benefits.
Send resume and cover letter to Jennifer Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with received applications starting review on May 24, 2022. We are ideally looking for someone to join our team as soon as June 1, 2022.