Seeking outstanding high school literature and composition teacher to work with our middle school students (this is not an ESL/EFL course). Must be able to live in Reno, NV, by July 2022.
Our English teachers are in class for 3-4 hours a day, and for the rest of the day, they meet with students 1:1 and write extensive feedback on student work. The curriculum is fully designed, and we mentor new teachers through the process of working with our population.
Established in 2006, the Davidson Academy is a rigorous secondary school serving profoundly gifted students. Located on the campus of the University of Nevada, Reno, the Academy is designated by Nevada legislation as a "university school for profoundly gifted pupils" (NRS Chapter 388C). Students are grouped by ability, not by age or grade. While the Academy is a public school, all students must score in the 99.9th percentile on nationally-normed intelligence and/or achievement tests.
Learn more at: http://www.davidsonacademy.unr.edu/
We are looking for a teacher who:
- has a strong intellect and loves the excitement and challenge of working with dedicated, passionate young people;
- is skillful in leading discussions, guiding critical thinking and analysis, and teaching literature and composition (grammar, mechanics, and style);
- demonstrates compassion, flexibility, humor, joyfulness, friendliness, fairness, enthusiasm, and a strong work ethic;
- will provide timely, detailed written feedback designed to rapidly strengthen students' thinking and writing skills on every assignment;
- is skilled with word processing software (ideally Microsoft Word) and is ready to learn the software we use for grading and attendance (Infinite Campus) and for curriculum (Canvas and Turnitin);
- is detail-oriented, organized, and efficient;
- can teach upper high school/early college content, but will provide the scaffolding, support, and warmth that is appropriate for middle school students;
- has strong communication skills, both orally and in writing, and has equally strong skills in listening and engaging with students and coworkers.
We are looking for an extraordinary teacher to mentor these extraordinary students!
- Please submit both a resume and a cover letter to LinkedIn or Indeed. The cover letter should include: your relevant background, why you are interested in teaching at this school, and why you believe you are a good candidate for this position.
- Select candidates will be asked to interview and will be asked to provide written feedback on an exemplar assignment.
- From there, the top candidates will be asked to teach a one-hour English class with DA students to demonstrate their ability to connect with and engage the students.
- Salary based on years of experience and level of education.