The Academy Charter Schools offers a rigorous English As A Second Language curriculum in a technology rich environment. The Academy employs caring and committed staffs who promotes excellence in the classroom to ensure that students can achieve at high levels.
Please click on the following link to apply as well as to view a full list of our open positions:
The teacher works to deepen students' mastery of the English Language through reading, writing, speaking and listening. The teacher is responsible for planning, developing, and delivering instruction to small groups students. The teacher will uphold the school's mission to ensure that all students receive a world class education.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Teach a standards- based curriculum that incorporates the New York State English As A Second Language standards and the English Language Arts Standards
- Push-in classroom to differentiate instruction in English Language Arts
- Pull out classroom to provide ESL instruction in small groups
- Develop lesson plans and supplementary materials
- Incorporate the use of technology on an ongoing basis
- Provide interactive and meaningful learning material to students, maintaining positive learning environment for active participation of students, assigning homework, and conduct periodic assessments to measure student growth and progress
- Implement and deliver quality instruction to students that prepare students to pass the NYSESLAT
- Design the curriculum that challenges the learning ability of students and ensure overall development of language
- Engage students in problem solving, critical thinking and other activities that make subject matter meaningful
- Facilitate learning and promote self- directed learning for all students
Qualifications and Skills
- 2-3 years teaching experience in a public school, private school or charter school setting, or similar background
- Knowledge and experience in preparing students for the NYSESLAT
- Bachelor's degree in English from an accredited college or university, Master's Degree preferred
- Valid New York State ESL Teacher Certification
Company DescriptionThe Academy Charter Schools offers an exceptional interdisciplinary curriculum in a technology-rich environment that challenges students to explore connections across subjects and use experiential learning to bridge the gaps between theory and practice. The Academy's focus on character development and community service cultivate a student body poised to be active, engaged and responsible members of the community. The Academy employs a committed staff whose teaching and high academic and behavioral expectations will promote the excellence known so the community's children can achieve.