Secondary ESL Teacher
Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Valid SBEC Teacher Certification.
Knowledge of assigned curriculum; knowledge of instructional methods
Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
Lesson planning skills
Lesson presentation skills
Conflict resolution skills
Classroom management skills
Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
Strong knowledge of Internet and web-related technology
Ability to instruct students using a variety of technology applications and platforms
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals, video/instructional equipment
Posture: Frequent standing and walking; bending/stooping and reaching fully above head, pushing, pulling, and twisting
Motion: Repetitive hand motions; frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; reaching
Lifting: Occasional lifting and carrying (less than 50 pounds)
Environment: Work inside from school, home, or location other than school building, may work outside; regular exposure to noise and computer monitors; may work prolonged or irregular hours; attend after school and night time activities occasionally; work inside and outside (exposure to sun, heat, cold, and inclement weather), exposure to noise; occasional districtwide and statewide travel
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress; ability to respond to needs in a timely manner in a high stress environment
Regular Attendance is an essential function
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
* Develop and implement lesson plans for in person and virtual learning that fulfill the requirements of districts curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation as required. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for differences in individual student differences.
* Prepare lessons that reflect accommodation for individual student differences.
* Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, equipment, and technology that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned and present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
* Present the subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
* Employ a variety of instructional techniques and media consistent with the needs and capabilities of the student groups involved.
* Cooperatively meet and plan with other members of the staff to implement instructional goals, objectives, and methods in accordance with district requirements.
* Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
* Plan and supervise purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s) and/or volunteer(s).
* Employ the use of technology in the teaching/learning process.
Student Growth and Development
* Assist students in analyzing and improving methods and habits of study.
* Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formative and summative assessments and track progress through a variety of methods.
* Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned and sponsor outside activities approved by the school.
* Present for students a positive role model that supports the mission of the school district.
* Create an in-person and virtual classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
Classroom Management and Organization
* Establish effective classroom management and administer discipline in accordance with board policies, administrative regulations, and campus management plans.
* Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
* Assist in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
* Establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents.
* Be available by phone, email, or video conferencing to confer with district personnel, students, and/or parents.
* Communicate with students or parents on a regular basis via phone or video conference, email, or district-approved website.
* Maintain a positive and professional relationship with all colleagues, students, parents, and community members through effective communication both verbally and written.
* Use acceptable communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
Professional Growth and Development
* Participate in the district staff development program to improve job related skills.
* Participate and positively contribute to grade level and campus level collaboration.
* Demonstrate interest and initiative in professional improvement.
* Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
* Keep informed of and comply with state, district, and school regulations.
* Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
* Attend and participate in faculty meetings and professional development activities and serve on staff committees as required.
* Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
* Perform such other tasks and accepts such other responsibilities as may be assigned.
* Comply with state, district, and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers including the Texas Educator Code of Ethics.