For the summer of 2022, Manhattan College will offer tuition-free TESOL student teaching for participants who will be seeking classroom teaching hours in order to complete their TESOL degree or in order to gain student teaching experience for professional development. Participants will have the opportunity to teach English language learners, ages 14-19, on the campus of Manhattan College over the summer.
Available participation session dates are (you may choose more than one):
1. June 14th - July 12th, 2022
2. June 22nd - July 19th, 2022
3. July 6th - August 2nd, 2022
4. July 13th - August 9th, 2022
The advantages of this opportunity for TESOL graduate programs include the knowledge that students will gain TESOL experience at an accredited institution. Further, if applicable, a report certificate that the participants have met their required teaching practicum hours will be available for your Program’s records. (We can also complete a report used in your Programs.)
This unique opportunity for your students includes:
- Approximately 60 hours of student teaching experience in order to meet TESOL program’s requirements or in order to gain student teaching experience for professional development;
- Tuition-free, in-class TESOL instructional experience;
- Mentorship by Manhattan College ESL staff;
- Use of curricula developed by Manhattan College;
- College-run shared, optional dormitory housing provided at no cost (meals are not included);
- Classroom exposure to English language learners ages 14-19;
- Participants are expected to be available the day before their chosen four-week session(s) for a day of training; and
- Local travel stipend ($500 per eligible participant who completes their session) provided up to 90 days after the completion of the summer program (Note: Participants must have a Social Security Number and complete all required paperwork in order to receive the stipend(s)).
Participants must commit to at least one of the pre-scheduled, four-week periods (please see above) in which they will teach 15 hours per week. Prepared lesson plans will be available for all student teaching participants. However, said participants are free to adjust lesson plans.
As noted above, shared, dormitory, optional campus housing will be provided for participants from outside of the New York City area at no cost. Please note that meals are not included. Rooms may not have air-conditioning. While a shared kitchen may be available, refrigerators may not be present. Please note this and plan accordingly.
This student teaching opportunity is designed only for active, enrolled, or recently graduated TESOL graduate students who require teaching hours in order to meet graduation requirements or those MA TESOL students or recent graduates who seek classroom experience for professional development purposes. (Accepted participants will be required prove that they are active, enrolled, or recently graduated.) Apart from curricula training, instruction to student teaching participants will not be provided, and no Manhattan College credit will be given to student teaching participants.
We hope that this opportunity will prove to be a benefit to TESOL graduate programs, TESOL graduate students, and recently graduated TESOL teachers seeking classroom experience while staying in New York City.
Applicants must be active/enrolled/recent graduates in MATESOL/MSTESOL/TESOL Certification or closely related.
At the date of this posting, Manhattan College and New York City require that participants are fully Covid-19 vaccinated (Moderna, Pfizer, or Johnson & Johnson).
Apply with clearly named (APPLICANT_SUMMER MATESOL) cover letter and resume in ONE PDF FILE to Dr. Jeff Vanderwerf at: email@example.com
Application deadline: February 15th, 2022
Applicants must be available for an online video interview. Online video interviews will take place starting in February, 2022.
US-based applicants only. Advanced level of English proficiency speakers with IELTS 8.0 / TOEFL 110 (or higher) are welcome to apply. A valid IELTS / TOEFL result must be submitted.