“If you would like to work in an
Amazing English Language Preparatory Program
then keep reading!”
Teach in a Fascinating Country
Turkey is where East meets West and has a lot to offer to those who wish to travel and explore. Ankara, the capital city, is located in Central Anatolia, with excellent transportation connections to all parts of Turkey, Europe and the Middle East.
Work as a University Instructor: Teach EAP
We offer you the opportunity to work as a university instructor, teaching English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at a university that leads the world with regard to the percentage of open-access publications according to the 2019 CWTS Leiden Rankings. In 2019, Bilkent University was ranked 82nd in the inaugural Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings. Bilkent University was named as Turkey's highest-ranked university in two of the Quacquarelli Symonds World University Rankings for 2019.
The English Language Preparatory Program
The English Language Preparatory Program prepares students for the English medium academic studies in the faculties of Bilkent University. The program brings students’ English level up to the level required for study in their faculties and schools. The language provision in the university extends beyond the English Language Preparatory Program. Once students complete their studies in the English Language Preparatory Program and go into their departments, they start taking credit-bearing English courses for academic or professional purposes offered by the Faculty Academic English Program (FAE).
Join a Vibrant Teaching Community
The English Language Preparatory Program has around 130 instructors, twenty-five percent of whom are native speakers of English, committed to maintaining quality standards in teaching the English language and academic skills. We are a learning institution that constantly evaluates and renews itself to better accommodate the changing needs of our students.
Professional Development Opportunities
When you arrive, we will be offering you an induction program at the beginning of the year, with continued support throughout the year. We are a teaching qualification center certified to offer the Cambridge English qualifications. DELTA (Cambridge English Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults) is offered to all instructors on scholarship. We also offer the English Language Teaching Certificate (ELTC) an in-house training course to teachers either new to the profession or new to teaching in EAP contexts on scholarship covering the cost of the course. There is also a top-notch library and electronic resources to support your learning and career development. We will be offering you ample opportunities for professional development in our program.
For more information about the training courses we offer, please visit:
Over the past 20 years, our program has been actively involved in the organization of many notable international conferences, in areas such as English Language Teaching, Teaching English for Academic Purposes, Language Assessment, School Management, Teacher Training and Development. Some of these conferences were jointly held with IATEFL (International Association of Teachers of English) and its various SIGSs (Special Interest Groups), EALTA (European Association for Language Testing and Assessment) and BALEAP (The Global Forum for EAP Professionals).
Our Attractive Employment Package at a Glance
- An initial two-year, renewable contract
- An in-service English Language Teaching Certificate (ELTC) and/or Cambridge English Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults DELTA on scholarship covering the cost of the course
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, quoted in US Dollars, and Turkish Liras, paid locally
- Membership of a vibrant school community of some 130 international and local staff
- A top-notch library and electronic resources to support learning and career development
- Fully-furnished, rent-free private accommodation on campus (a fee is charged for utilities)
- Air fare and baggage allowance at the beginning and end of contract
- Residence permit, work visa and airport transfer
- Private and state medical insurance
- On campus Turkish language courses
- University gym membership
- Monthly lunch allowance (electronic cards)
- Opportunities to live and travel in an exciting and diverse culture
What are the Career Opportunities?
We offer excellent career opportunities to both new entrants to the profession and to experienced teachers.
- New entrants to ELT career path
- Early-career EFL/EAP instructors
- Experienced EFL/EAP instructors
What are the Required Qualifications?
New entrants to ELT career path
with B.Ed. in English or BA in English, Applied Linguistics, or related field; little or no teaching experience
Early-career EFL/EAP instructors
with MA in TEFL/TESL/Applied Linguistics or related field, limited classroom experience
Experienced EFL/EAP instructors
with B.Ed., BA or MA in English, or related field (opportunity to earn the DELTA qualification on scholarship covering the cost of the course)
When can I start working in the English Language Preparatory Program?
You can start working with us either in the 2021-22 academic year Spring semester or in the 2022-23 academic year Fall semester.
Applicants are required to submit a fully-completed application form, which can be accessed at
Forms should be sent to email@example.com together with a recent photo in jpeg format.
- The recruitment team reviews all applications, and only shortlisted candidates are contacted.
- Interviews with shortlisted candidates are held over Zoom/Skype or in person (if possible).