The Regional ESL Instructional Specialist role is an exciting opportunity for an individual who has extensive experience with second-language acquisition, deep content knowledge of effective sheltered instruction techniques and the English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS); who is committed to advancing the academic achievement of emergent bilingual learners; and who is eager to influence multilingual education in their region.
DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Assist schools in curriculum implementation and alignment to TEKS/SEs, ELPS/PLDs and academic needs assessments for ESL students (and program evaluations)
2. Support teachers across multiple disciplines to promote an integrated/cross-curricular design that promotes student language acquisition in all four domain areas: reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
3. Participate in campus instructional planning sessions to design and plan instructional lessons that include the required accommodations and linguistic needs of English Learners
4. Collaborate with ESL Program Managers in the development of professional learning surrounding English Learners and second language acquisition
5. Assist campuses with data analysis and the development of action plans in response to the data (TELPAS, MAP and STAAR)
6. Model effective teaching within the classroom; provide support through co-planning and co-teaching
7. Participate in campus walks with campus leadership teams, district team members and ESL Program Managers
8. Demonstrate a collaborative approach to community and family partnerships
9. Assists in planning and implementation of summer language programs
10. Ensure compliance with federal, state, local, and district policies, rules and regulations for EL students