**TENURE TRACK FACULTY - ENGLISH
MALCOLM X COLLEGE**
Malcolm X College is currently seeking a Full-Time Faculty member to teach English beginning in the Fall, 2021 semester. If you have passion for teaching and learning and are committed to the mission of the community college, consider joining our team. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success in the classroom by developing and using effective teaching strategies that meet students' diverse needs and engage the student in critical thinking and problem-solving.
The English, Literature, and Speech department is comprised of multiple courses under the disciplines of English, Literature, and Speech. These courses promote increased literacy and fluency in the various form of English language communication both written and oral, and reading comprehension and development.
The mission of Malcolm X College is to provide accessible liberal arts and health-focused education that fosters personal and professional achievement. To fulfill this mission, we focus on the following core values: accountability, community, diversity, empowerment, learning, and respect.
The City Colleges of Chicago are committed to the recruitment of faculty whose members believe strongly in the philosophy, objectives and purposes of the Colleges and who will give complete support to the total educational program of the Colleges. Specifically, prospective teaching staff members shall be recommended who:
* Will contribute in every way possible to cause the philosophy, objectives and purposes of the Colleges to be realized, and
* Will understand the heterogeneity of the community college student enrollment, both in interests and in abilities, and who will therefore give every possible assistance in helping orient students towards realistic educational achievement.
**ESSENTIAL DUTIES **
* Design courses to meet learning outcomes and promote students' active participation in their own learning.
* Create an effective learning environment that fosters students' intellectual curiosity and helps students to problem solve using discipline-specific thinking strategies.
* Employ a variety of formative and summative assessments to ensure that classroom instruction leads to student learning and the attainment of the student learning outcomes for the course.
* Help students reach their academic, personal and career goals and foster a safe environment that respects the diversity of people and ideas by modeling respect for all students and conveying confidence in every student's ability to learn.
* Contribute to and provide leadership in the student's academic and professional communities and promote collaboration and teamwork among members of these communities.
* Master's degree or higher in English Language, Literature, or Linguistic (Concentration in TESL/TEFL), or MFA in Creative writing.
* Knowledge of Brightspace Learning Management System or similar Learning Management System, preferred
* Prior experience with online teaching (via Zoom) and/or online teaching certification is strongly preferred
* Scholarship work, publications, committee work, and other relevant work is highly considered
* Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to communicate with diverse group of staff and students, required
* Experience with a diverse, multi-lingual student population is desired, as is a commitment to the open access mission of the community college
When applying, please attach your unofficial transcripts and a one-page teaching philosophy. Be sure to include any scholarship work, publications, committee work, and other relevant engagements.
Application accepted through February 28, 2021.
**WE OFFER:** Excellent health benefits at a low cost; Investment plans 403(b) & 457(b); SURS Retirement Plan; Generous vacation, holidays, personal and sick days; Tuition Reimbursement. For a more detailed overview of benefits please visit our benefits page.
**Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago! **
*Primary Location:* Malcolm X College
*Job Posting:* Dec 13, 2020, 11:52:47 PM
*Req ID:* MAL0001471
*Employee Type:* Full Time
*Union Code:* Local 1600 Faculty