Position: English Teacher for Grades 6-9
Recently re-located to Rwanda, SOLA School is an Afghan-led private boarding school for girls and was the first and only of its kind in Afghanistan. SOLA's mission is to provide Afghan girls a rigorous education that promotes critical thinking, a sense of purpose, and respect for self and others. Our intent is to provide Afghan girls with an environment where they can focus on their education and potential.
SOLA provides a safe and nurturing space in which to learn. A residential faculty provides round-the-clock guidance and supervision, and our program creates opportunities for our students to explore personal interests and practice leadership skills among their peers. Numerous off-campus initiatives provide immersion in various cultures and nurture a global perspective in each of our students.
Position Description: SOLA is currently seeking qualified individuals for the position of English teacher to work on site in a residential position in Kigali, Rwanda. Under the supervision of a US based English curriculum manager and a US-based curriculum development team, duties of the English teacher include a) full-time teaching; and b) working with other faculty on projects or community-based assignments in an area of professional interest or expertise like assessment, materials design, professional development. Additionally, teachers have dormitory responsibilities and supervise extracurricular activities.
Specific Teaching Responsibilities
- Ensures that instruction is consistent and coordinated with the programs curriculum materials so that students meet and exceed learning targets.
- Develops and delivers lesson plans utilizing a broad range of techniques and strategies that develop each student’s ability to read, write, speak, and listen in content areas at levels that ensure language skill development.
- Administers academic and language assessments for the purpose of evaluating student’s progress.
- Maintains complete and accurate records of student’s progress and attendance.
- Provides a supportive and positive learning environment with high expectations that encourage student responsibility, enhance motivation, clearly communicate classroom routines, and incorporate challenging instructional strategies.
- Participates regularly and actively in meetings with other teachers and US-based colleagues and managers to provide input to and feedback on the implementation of the curriculum.
Successful candidates need to possess the following abilities: effective pedagogy in student-centered approaches, strong ability to build rapport with and motivate students, organizational skills, communication skills, collegiality and teamwork.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or Certificate in TESOL strongly preferred.
- Availability to work in Kigali, Rwanda after January 20, 2022.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
- US citizens strongly preferred for this position though high level of English fluency is the only requirement.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.