Salary: $25 an hour
Job Type: Part-time (16 hours/week)
Number of hires for this role: 1
* Bachelor's (Preferred)
* Adult education - 1 year (Preferred)
* Teaching Certification (Preferred)
Full Job Description
Jackson Mann Community Centers Adult Education ESOL program is looking for a highly motivated part-time ESOL teacher to teach a High Intermediate/Advanced ESOL class three times a week (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays 6 pm-9 pm) for the 2021-22 school year. This class follows a hybrid model: 2 days in-person at 500 Cambridge St., Allston, MA 02134 and 1 day remotely via Zoom. Each class meets 9 hours per week. For every three hours taught, teachers are allotted and compensated for an additional two hours of prep, and one hour dedicated to professional/program development or staff meetings for a total of 16 hours per week.
* Responsible for teaching the High Intermediate ESOL class(SPL 5-6) three days a week and maintaining student attendance on the drive.
* Attend all ESOL meetings which meet every other Thursday at 5:00 pm
* Complete 12 hours of professional development training during the school year.
* Responsible for the continued development and improvement of the ESOL class curriculum
* Ability to use Google Drive, WhatsApp, and Zoom to support communication throughout the program.
* Keeping students motivated to continue their studies as well as addressing problems limiting students success with the Career Advisor and Director early enough to help make a difference. Enforcing timeliness and good attendance in the classroom.
* Incorporating computer classes at least once a week.
* Knowledge of the student handbook and enforcing rules of the program.
* Coach and support students as needed; use e-mail, group chats, phone, and texting.
* Upkeep of student data, test results, goals, prized work, and goals achieved in student files.
* Respect and adhere to classroom protocol and use of space and facility.
* Conduct student assessments and hold 1:1 student progress meetings for each student twice a year (late fall, early spring). Make recommendations for moving up or exiting the program.
* Complete other duties related to this position as assigned by your direct supervisor.
The Jackson Mann Community Center is a community-based non-profit service agency incorporated in 1976 to provide educational, cultural, social, recreational, and community services to moderate and low-income residents of Allston-Brighton, ages 2.9 to older adulthood.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $25.00 per hour
COVID-19 considerations: All staff must wear a mask in the building.
Ability to commute/relocate to Allston, MA 02134: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Education: Bachelor's (Preferred)
Experience: Adult education - 1 year (Preferred)
License/Certification: Teaching Certification (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
Work Remotely: Possible to teach remotely 1 day a week.
Work Location: 500 Cambridge St., Allston, MA 02134
The ideal candidate will possess the qualifications listed below. The qualifications listed are considered minimum qualifications unless noted otherwise.
Education: Bachelors Degree or certification in TESOL, Education, or similar degree. Masters preferred.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
* Must function independently and as a member of a team
* Use of Microsoft Office suite: Google Drive, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
* Ability to take initiative and prioritize work, highly organized
* Ability to incorporate strong College and Career lessons into curriculum units.
* The highly organized individual who can maintain student records, dates, and deadlines.
* Understanding of the immigrant experience in the U.S.
* Ability to work well with others.
* Ability to guide with resume writing, interviewing skills, and basic job preparation
* Serves as an advocate to students who need specific services
* CORI check required by the Boston Center for Youth and Families
* Knowledge of DESE guidelines preferred.
* Excellent written and oral communication.
* Positive team spirit.