KIPP Texas Public Schools is a nonprofit public charter school network, dedicated to preparing students in educationally underserved communities for college success and choice-filled lives. Today, KIPP Texas operates 59 public charter schools educating over 31,100 students across four regions Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. KIPP schools are part of the free public school system and enrollment is open to all students. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income families.
You can see all our job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/.Job Description
The Math Curriculum Specialist role is an exciting opportunity for an individual who has deep content knowledge of primary school Math, has a passion for curriculum and instruction, is committed to advancing social justice and culturally relevant pedagogy, and is eager to influence the future of primary math instruction across KIPP Texas and beyond.
The Math Curriculum Specialist will play a critical role at the state-level in an effort to drive improved student results, including growth and achievement, college and career readiness, and closing the achievement gap, at KIPP schools in our Houston, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio regions.General Role Description
- Curriculum | Using Eureka Math as a base curriculum, design strong instructional notes and for teachers to facilitate strong implementation and internalization of curriculum
- Assessments| Create high quality, aligned, standards based formative and end of cycle assessments
- Data Analysis | Regularly analyze a variety of qualitative and quantitative data at the school, region and state-levels to identify strengths and gaps in the curriculum itself and/or its implementation.
- Professional Development | Plan and facilitate virtual and in-person professional development on curriculum and instruction to ensure all regions are on a path to implement the curriculum with fidelity and achieve academic goals.
- Instructional Coaching | Coach and support school administrators, teachers, and regional academic teams to set, make progress towards, and achieve math goals. This may include occasional travel to each KIPP Texas region (Houston, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio).
The Math Curriculum Specialist responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and/or adapt Math curriculum based on feedback from the stakeholders, including course overviews, pacing calendars, unit plans, lesson plans and assessments aligned to the KIPP Texas Math Vision.
- Ensure all Math curriculum & assessments are top-quality and aligned to a college-ready bar and Texas state standards before students engage with them.
- Conduct ongoing data analysis (state-wide and region-specific) to support regions with focused, data-driven responses to instruction.
- Plan and lead virtual & in-person Math professional development for instructional coaches and teachers, including unit and lesson internalization, instructional best practices, and responding to data.
- Coach, build relationships, and support principals, assistant principals, teachers, and regional academics teams across the state to ensure strong implementation of and solicit feedback on the Math curriculum.
- Collaborate with other KIPP Texas academics teams (student support services, assessment & achievement) to ensure curriculum and supporting materials are accessible for ALL students, including special education and ESL/ELL students.
- Stay up-to-date on best practices in primary math instruction and model best practices for instructional coaches as needed.
QualificationsContent and Pedagogical Expertise
- Strong understanding of the college-ready bar for students in Math, exceptionally high standards for students potential, and an unyielding belief that ALL students can achieve at high levels
- Deep knowledge of primary math (including TEKS), with a strong understanding of the full K-12 math continuum.
- Master Math teacher and instructional leader (ideally at the primary and/or middle school level) with proven results
- Strong understanding of and prior experience with curriculum development, including but not limited to: alignment between objectives, learning experiences and assessment; principles of backwards planning; essential questions to drive inquiry
- Experience coaching teachers and/or leaders to improve instruction through observation & feedback; can identify targeted impact statements (action steps) based on observations to improve instruction efficiently and effectively
Communication, Interpersonal And Team Skills
- Detail oriented and obsessed with accuracy, especially in the areas of curriculum and assessments
- Ability to create own work plan and can project plan around multiple priorities and fast-paced deadlines
- Able to succinctly present summaries and updates
- Can work across multiple modes of communication (virtual and in-person) to impact others and achieve goals
- Advanced understanding of Microsoft Office suite and (preferred) Adobe Reader and Google Drive
- (Preferred but not required) Able to fluently navigate Illuminate and Tableau, or other similar assessment and data analytics platforms
Problem Solving and Systems-Level Thinking
- Builds and maintains strong relationships across a variety of levels and stakeholders
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; tailors message for the audience, context, and mode of communication
- Builds consensus and resolves conflicts; exhibits willingness to have difficult conversations
- Skillfully navigates systems and structures at various levels in a large district
- Comfortable with ambiguity and can translate abstract ideas into concrete work plans and products
- Understands how various systems, departments, shareholders and stakeholders interact to achieve short and long term goals
- Makes decisions using data and takes initiative to solve problems and create stakeholder buy-in
- Exhibits flexibility and a solutions-oriented mindset when faced with shifting priorities, demands, and timelines
- Identifies and prioritizes mission-critical issues and offers innovative solutions to seemingly intractable problems
- Exhibits consistent focus on goals and results and sets clear metrics for success
- Motivates, inspires, and moves other adults to action to achieve ambitious goals
- Builds coalitions and works collaboratively with diverse stakeholders at all levels, including but not limited to state leaders, regional leaders, school leaders, coaches, teachers and students
- Establishes clear expectations, deliverables and deadlines across organizational layers
Empathy and Commitment to Cause
- Deep belief in the mission and values of KIPP and commitments to improving student achievement
- Passionately believes that all students can achieve at high levels
- Demonstrates cultural competencies and a deep understanding of and empathy for issues facing students
Additional InformationCompensation And Benefits
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.