LECTURER POSITIONS IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE
5 days left
- Job Role
- Professor / Lecturer
KANDA UNIVERSITY OF INTERNATIONAL STUDIES
The English Language Institute (ELI) of Kanda University of International Studies (KUIS) in Japan has openings for suitably qualified lecturers of English as a foreign language. These lecturer positions are for a two-year period commencing April 2022. There is an option to renew the contract twice, by mutual agreement, making a maximum of six years.
Members of the ELI are normally expected to be at the university from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm or 10.30 am to 6.30 pm, Monday through Friday. During the two semester breaks, each of approximately five to six weeks, lecturers are not typically required to be on campus at all.
All lecturers are involved in the following during the two fifteen-week semesters of teaching:
- A teaching load of eight 90-minute instruction periods per week, for a total of thirty weeks each year. Teaching may involve working with students in different departments in the university on a variety of courses.
- Conversing with students in the English Lounge and/or consulting by appointment in a skills-practice center (e.g. advising on writing skills in the Academic Support Area) for two 90-minute session per week
Both during the teaching weeks and at other times during the academic year, lecturers are involved in such things as the following:
- Ongoing collaborative curriculum development work (e.g. materials development, evaluation, ongoing action research etc.) related to courses taught
- Participation in the ELI Professional Development Program comprising classroom observations and mentoring
- Attendance of all scheduled meetings and planned activities of the ELI, as well as other special meetings, called from time to time as needed (functions organized by the ELI include an annual welcome party for Freshman and the administration of an in-house English proficiency exam.)
- Attendance of special ceremonies and events conducted by the university, including entrance exams, Open Campus Day, and the Entrance and Graduation Ceremonies.
- Cooperating with the University’s Public Relations division in promoting the university to high school students and other interested parties. Duties may also include occasional demonstration lessons at high schools (such activities may involve additional financial compensation).
- Please understand that changes may be inevitable due to the Coronavirus.
1) Gross Annual Pre-tax Salary (including bonuses): ¥5,010,000
a) The salary is payable in monthly instalments
b) Bonus payments are made in September and March
c) The gross salary amount is increased to ¥5,460,000 with the first contract renewal and ¥5,760,000 with the second contract renewal.
1) Annual Private Research Allowance: ¥100,000 plus limited financial support for attendance at national and international conferences
2) Overseas Relocation Allowance: ¥100,000 to defray the relocation expenses incurred by overseas appointees
3) Commuting Allowance: Based on costs of daily travel between a staff member’s residence, calculated per university regulations
4) Contract Completion Payment (based on number of years completed).
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURES
- The deadline for receipt of applications is September 20th, 2021.
- Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
- Only online applications will be accepted.
- For further details, please follow the link below: