Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC (https://www.duolingo.com/abc) and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test (https://englishtest.duolingo.com/home).
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
We are looking for a soon-to-be Ph.D. graduate with research expertise in second language acquisition and assessment. At Duolingo, you will have an opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, where you see the immediate impact of your work on millions of learners worldwide.
More information on our University Programs can be found at university.duolingo.com
What you’ll do...
- Collaborate on the development of in-app assessments in a variety of languages to evaluate learner achievement across all language skills
- Help design and conduct research studies aimed at assessing the overall efficacy of Duolingo products and features
- Gain insights from analyzing user accuracy and in-app behavior data and communicate findings both internally and externally
What we’re looking for…
- Ph.D. degree. You are currently pursuing a Ph.D. degree in applied linguistics, second language studies, TESOL, or a related field. Your graduation date must be between December 2021 and August 2022.
- Research expertise. You demonstrate strong research ability in second language learning, preferably in language assessment and/or computer-assisted language learning.
- Experience with language testing. You have good foundational knowledge in language assessment and experience designing and developing assessments, analyzing test results, and evaluating quality of tests.
- Data analysis skills. You have strong skills in statistics and data analysis, especially as they relate to assessing the outcomes of language learners at different proficiency levels.
- Language knowledge. You know at least one language other than English.
- Strong communication. You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working in industry, especially in educational technology
- At least basic knowledge of Spanish and/or French
Why you’ll love working here…
- Language learning opportunities
- Catered in-house lunches, and breakfast and dinner options
- Company-wide Hackathon
- PTO and company holidays
- Frequent company-wide dinners, monthly celebrations, social clubs, and so much more!