Subject Leader: Academic English and Study Skills
Contract Type: Full Time- Permanent.
Our Kingston University International Study Centre (ISC) is looking for a Subject Leader for Academic English and Study Skills to have a particular focus on planning and managing the delivery of a range of modules for the subject area. To provide support and guidance to a team of English tutors delivering the AES module, pre-Sessional course, IELTS and Boost Sessions; and to line manage several Academic Tutors. To contribute to the effective overall management of the programmes and courses, and the student life cycle. To teach up to 16 hours a week and provide the necessary cover for staff absence.
Line management and personal development
- Manage a team of English Tutors to contribute to ensuring the best possible student outcomes and student experience.
- Provide effective performance management of direct reports, including setting personal objectives and KPIs; regularly reviewing the performance of direct reports, and conducting formal performance reviews according to company policy and procedures.
- Support the Head of English in recruiting new teaching staff according to Study Group policies and procedures.
- Facilitate, encourage and support direct reports to participate in regular personal development activities, including development activities in the Centre.
- Plan and undertake regular personal development as agreed with the line manager.
Academic and Operational Management
- Plan and oversee the delivery of teaching and assessments ensuring English Tutors teaching the programmes, courses and sessions are fully informed of the curriculum content, teaching schedules, assessment modes and deadlines; and ensuring the best possible student outcomes and student experience.
- Produce a set of agreed documentation for each course and module including course outlines, module handbooks, schemes of work and teaching material, with support and input from English Tutors. Review documentation regularly for accuracy and appropriateness.
- Ensure all assessments are prepared and set in a timely fashion to agreed deadlines and are appropriate, fair and secure.
- Ensure all students receive effective assessment feedback.
- Teach modules, courses and sessions in agreement with the Head of English.
- Mark assessments and record and report on teaching and assessment activity, including ensuring data is submitted accurately and within deadlines.
- Contribute to the design of new courses and methods of delivery and assessment.
- Update and maintain the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
- Liaise with the Progression, Welfare and Support team to support students in achieving their progression aim.
- Work with the Centre Student & Academic Services team in the delivery of Student induction and orientation programmes.
- Complete sponsor reports and academic reports for students.
Academic Standards, Quality Assurance and Enhancement
- Ensure that the design and delivery of all modules and courses are conducted with reference to and according to Study Group's, Kingston University and relevant external agencies' quality frameworks, policies, procedures and codes of practice.
- Plan, lead and participate in standardisation, moderation and verification meetings.
- Implement agreed actions from the Centre Action Plan relevant to the AES module and English courses, and ensure that Academic Tutors contribute to the implementation of agreed actions.
- Support Head of English in liaising with External Examiners for the subject area, providing information to External Examiners as required.
- Support the Head of English in working with colleagues to monitor and observe teaching and learning activity and supporting English Tutors with continuous improvement of teaching and learning practices.
- Ensure high levels of automatic progression are achieved for students.
- Analyse data and feedback from a wide variety of sources and monitor progress towards progression targets, supporting the Head of English to plan remedial actions where necessary, and ensure their effective implementation.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree
- Relevant Teaching qualification (DELTA, TEFL, MA Linguistics).
- Experience in partnership working or partnership management in the education sector.
- Experience in teaching international students in the UK higher or further education
- Experience in planning and running complex education courses in the subject area
- Experience of teaching in the subject area
- Line management experience in a teaching and learning environment (desired)
- Experience in leading a team to achieve high levels of student academic performance and outcomes against agreed targets.
- Experience of partnership working in the education sector.
Study Group is a global leader in preparing students for international academic success and rewarding careers through a transformational learning experience. Our global recruitment teams enrolled over 30,000 students from 142 countries in 2018. The universities we work with trusting us to increase their international footprint, access student diversity and provide assured progression, so they can continue to focus on academic excellence.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same dedication. Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.